IDE Request

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroPascal PRO for PIC.
Author

IDE Request

#1 Post by gbh » 05 Jun 2015 20:49

I see from recent updates that you have someone looking at IDE enhancements. May I propose a couple of simple ones:

From the help file:

'Auto Hide
When an auto-hidden window loses focus, it automatically slides back to its tab on the edge of the IDE. While a window is auto-hidden, its name and icon are visible on a tab at the edge of the IDE. To display an auto-hidden window, move your pointer over the tab. The window slides back into view and is ready for use.'

Many, many times I move the move to the left or right of the screen to just edit code and find myself having to wait half a second for an unwanted page to animate open and another half a second for it to animate closed simply because I accidently hovered over a closed tab.

Because of this I've always removed all of the tabs from my layouts and rely on either a menu or keyboard shortcuts to open them if needed.
(The reason this [to me, frustrating IDE behaviour] comes to mind again at this time is I just updated to 6.6.1 and all of the tabs came back with the default layouts).

Can you please consider changing the property of the tabs such that merely hovering over them *doesn't* cause them to slide open?

Please consider either making the default behaviour a mouse 'click' to open, not simply a hover (or make it a user-configurable option).
Please also consider either removing (or again making optional) the sliding tab page animations which I feel add nothing to the functionality and simply waste time.

Thanks for your consideration.

janni

Re: IDE Request

#2 Post by janni » 06 Jun 2015 17:07

+1 from my side. It was suggested long time ago but apparently still seems unbelievable that users may find such nice features bothersome or distracting.

viktor.milovanovic

#3 Post by viktor.milovanovic » 08 Jun 2015 11:24

Hello,
I will forward this suggestion to our software development team in hopes that they will make them come true.
Best regards,

Viktor Milovanovic

gbh

#4 Post by gbh » 03 Nov 2015 03:23

Hi,

Unfortunately version 6.6.2 came and went without any change to the IDE. I know it's likely to be a long time before there are any more updates but could you please put this request forward to the team again. Thanks.

It's an absolutely trivial change to make that will take only a couple of seconds...

In the DockingManager component change the AutoHideStartAction property from ahsHover:

to ahsClick:

and it's done. Literally it will take a second.

As Janni mentioned this was requested a long time ago, so it appears I'm not the only one to be bothered by it. It really would remove a great annoyance from the IDE(s).

Many thanks.

aleksa.jovanovic

#5 Post by aleksa.jovanovic » 06 Nov 2015 11:14

Hi,

I'm sorry for the oversight on this, I will forward it again and point out that it should've been done before.
Sorry for this nuisance.

Best regards,
Aleksa

gbh

#6 Post by gbh » 28 Jan 2016 00:51

Hi,

Out of interest I installed the demo version of the recently released mikroPascal Pro for ARM version 4.7.0 just to see if the IDE tweak I proposed here (and janni seconded) had made it into that particular compiler release. I was a bit disappointed to see that it hadn't and therefore I'm not hopeful it will make it into the next mikroPascal Pro for PIC release either - which is the compiler I use.

Could I ask that you re-propose it to the development team please?

It's not a bug, but it's annoying to have to wait for panels to animate open and then closed when the tabs are hovered over and will take the development team literally a second to change.

Many thanks.

biljana.nedeljkovic
mikroElektronika team

#7 Post by biljana.nedeljkovic » 29 Jan 2016 15:20

Hello,

I have reported this to our development team.

It will be fixed with the next release of the compiler.

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for the patience.

Kind regards,
Biljana

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for PIC Wish List”