New Project wizard

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroPascal PRO for PIC.
Author

New Project wizard

#1 Post by janni » 22 Sep 2011 13:48

Could new-project wizard be a bit more user-friendly? With previous wizard version one could see the contents of project directory and choose project name based on that (important especially for compiler testing when there's many projects in single directory). Also, one has now to do a lot of mouse-clicking to change project directory (directory tree starts from desktop instead of present directory).

If I may suggest, Project Name field could also have Browse button that would cause opening of current directory contents. Choosing project name there should naturally update the path in Project folder field. Project Folder field would then serve only as a shortcut to specify directory far from present one and could stay the way it is.

sasa72

Re: New Project wizard

#2 Post by sasa72 » 22 Sep 2011 15:22

Suggested similar while ago:
http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=33026

Netbeans and other modern RADs style. It gives more easier and more logical maintenance for project files.

janni

#3 Post by janni » 22 Sep 2011 15:55

sasa72 wrote:Suggested similar while ago:
http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=33026
I'm sorry Sasha, but I fail to see similarity of your suggestion to mine :( .
When create new project, in most cases new directory need to be created. That would be efficient to be handled by wizard: new project name automatically mean creating new subdirectory in current projects directory base.
This could actually make adding new project to the same directory harder, so it may be opposite to my wish when implemented unconditionally.

Anyway, not everybody uses directory names identical to project names, so some may be dismayed when forced to do so. But I have nothing against your suggestion, if it's implemented as an option.

sasa72

#4 Post by sasa72 » 22 Sep 2011 16:07

3. To show and allow changing individual project directory.
This option actually suggest flexible approach, to change directory name... In short, I suggested base directory for project, however not to be fixed. Etc. MPLAB X use Netbeans RAD IDE as a base and use that approach as well.

Main problem is that current wizard is obsolete from many practical reasons and need to be reorganized. Whatever suggestion would be accepted it would be a progress. I would like to see more options for expert usage which include more flexibility, not simple "one way" for beginners.

janni

#5 Post by janni » 22 Sep 2011 16:31

My request is not that extensive :wink: . I'd be happy when freed of the need to recheck project directory with external programs and saved several mouse-clicks.

filip
mikroElektronika team

#6 Post by filip » 23 Sep 2011 08:56

Hi,

I agree that this suggestion will make the wizard better and easier to use.
I have passed this on to our developers.

Regards,
Filip.

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for PIC Wish List”