Unhelpfull error messages

Beta Testing discussion on mikroBasic PRO for PIC.
Author

Unhelpfull error messages

#1 Post by BarryP » 30 Apr 2010 09:59

Error is at this line
Ethernet_setUserHandlers(@Ethernet_UserTCP, @Ethernet_UserUDP) ' set user handlers

The Error is
200 304 Syntax error: Expected "pointer to function" but "pointer to function" found ticket.mbas

I do know what the problem is in this case, but the message presented is stupid.

cymb

Re: Unhelpfull error messages

#2 Post by cymb » 06 May 2010 22:38

i assume that if a user tried long enough he could cause all error messages to be
"presented". would it be helpful to have ALL possible error messages published along with the
reasons they may be presented so that a user could have some clues about what the compiler is
doing? a lot of this is over my head and getting more "over" but common sense is not.

WHY ARE ERROR MESSAGES A SECRET,,,UNTIL THEY SHOW UP???

thinking back, i remember asking this b4, without an answer.

i continue to try to learn by reading posts,and answers,,,if any

tom
not an appliance operator

Jack Flanders

#3 Post by Jack Flanders » 07 May 2010 04:03

Yes! This and a comprehensive bug list would help mikroelektronika customers the most.

Let's face it: all compilers have bug lists.

Some want to hide the list from future users. But you only need to barely wet your feet a bit to realize that the company that will disclose everything to you is really your friend. Same with error messages.

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by anikolic » 07 May 2010 13:52

Hello,

Jack Flanders, you aren't saying anything we already don't know. We just do not have enough resources to realize all of our projects in a blink of an eye. In the first five months of this year we have:
01. Introduced SSA optimizations for dsPIC compilers and released dsPIC PRO v3.00 beta
02. Introduced improved Tools in IDE
03. Introduced Active Comments Editor
04. Introduced PIC PRO v3.50beta compilers
05. Introduced new Package manager software
06. Solved many bug reports and polished IDE
-------------------------------------------
07. Moved old support ticket system to comprehensive Support Center with Knowledgebase, Downloads and News sections
08. Upgraded entire Forum to phpBB v3.00
09. Introduced new and improved website
10. Introduced improvements of Help file that will take place in the following releases
-------------------------------------------
11. We have introduced 10 new extra boards and development systems and we are have 10 more waiting for testing.
12. We have dozens of ongoing projects and extra activities with very limited amount of resources considering the workload. Under these circumstances, managing the priorities is very tough assignment of our management. Introducing on-line Bugzilla system, similar to KDE (https://bugs.kde.org/) is an option. But we are considering other alternatives also. So, if you wait for several months, you just might find how, gradually, all of this becomes a reality, and our services get better each and every day. We have no intention to hide anything from our clients, in fact, we want our customers to feel free to suggest anything they want, we have no censorship in any form of communication (forum, tickets, mails, phone calls) and we want our clients to use all available knowledge and information available at the moment.

cymb, we are constantly improving error messages and we are introducing more and more sophisticated mechanisms of error detection.

BarryP, your code probably uses old prototypes for Ethernet_UserTCP, and Ethernet_UserUDP and thus call signatures don't match. Can you post a sample code of those functions' declarations, so I may do the testing and report this to our developers, so the error message can be more user-friendly.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

BarryP

#5 Post by BarryP » 08 May 2010 00:00

Hi aleksandar.nikolic
As I mentioned in the initial post , I new what the problem was , & Yes ,
It is the mismatch of prototypes between the new & old ethernet libs
Thanks for passing it on to the developers.

Return to “mikroBasic PRO for PIC Beta Testing”