are mikroP/B/C obsolete?

General discussion on mikroPascal.
Author

are mikroP/B/C obsolete?

#1 Post by octal » 09 Sep 2009 09:06

Hello,

I'm at a couple of weeks from publishing a new version of GLCD Font Creator (http://www.pocketmt.com) with new version of XGLCD Lib project that supports both KS0108 and T6963C controllers.

The new version will of course generate fonts compatible with T6963C controllers (scan along x direction).

I made some modifications to the XGLCD library to be compatible and compilable via the PRO versions of the compilers. It works fine :)
before users send me tens of mails, I have to say that I'll not send anything to anybody until I check everything. As usually I'm testing with fonts having only 5 to 6 chars in order to avoid going beyond demo version limits. This takes time, so be patient please.
This weekend I'll give all libs to some friends who have full (PIC and AVR) versions to do tests. If it's ok I'll upload all libs soon.

Also I'm going to publish a version of GLCD Font Creator mE Edition for mikroE compilers. It will be FREE for all mikroE users.

I would like to know if mikroP/mikroB/mikroC are still considered to be production compiler or are they considered to be obsolete and users have to go for PRO version of the compilers?

if YES, I'll skip and bypass support for standard (old NON-pro) versions, and concentrate only on new PRO versions. I'm working on the port and tests of XGLCD on 8051 and AVR.

Regards
octal

Regards
http://www.pocketmt.com

drdoug

#2 Post by drdoug » 09 Sep 2009 14:27

I would say just do it for the Pro version since anyone still using the C version for production is behind the curve. New code should be written in ProC because the C version will no longer be supported and so I do not know why someone would develop a new project on it - other than familiarity.

Just my opinion.

janni

Re: are mikroP/B/C obsolete?

#3 Post by janni » 09 Sep 2009 16:01

octal wrote: I'm going to publish a version of GLCD Font Creator mE Edition for mikroE compilers. It will be FREE for all mikroE users.
That's really generous. I have the older version and like it very much.
I would like to know if mikroP/mikroB/mikroC are still considered to be production compiler or are they considered to be obsolete and users have to go for PRO version of the compilers?
mE will not continue development of the older compilers, but there are users that didn't yet or cannot (like me, with some projects) move to PRO versions.

Still, I don't think it's really necessary for GLCD Font Creator to support older compiler versions. I'm sure that those that need it will manage and most of users will sooner or later move to PRO versions.
drdoug wrote:the C version will no longer be supported and so I do not know why someone would develop a new project on it - other than familiarity.
Most probably the incoming release will fix the last remaining dangerous errors in PRO versions, but there are still things that make project development faster (and sometimes possible at all) in old compilers compared to PRO versions. Also porting some libraries to PRO compilers is too hard to be worth it. And in mP and mB PRO there is the additional complication due to new expression evaluation rules that many users have problems with - this won't be changed soon though it will, eventually.
But for an average user there indeed seems to be no special reason to delay switching to new versions with new projects - certainly not after incoming releases.

peterj

#4 Post by peterj » 09 Sep 2009 17:12

Hi Octal.

Bring it on been waiting for this for a long time.

It would be nice if it would work with the older versions of MikroBasic as well as MikroBasicPro.

Regards Peter.

Copy'nPaste

#5 Post by Copy'nPaste » 09 Sep 2009 18:51

Also I'm going to publish a version of GLCD Font Creator mE Edition for mikroE compilers. It will be FREE for all mikroE users.
  • That is SO generous, a heartfelt "thankyou" :D
"Copy'nPaste"

octal

#6 Post by octal » 10 Sep 2009 10:15

Thank you for your answers.
I would have expected an official answer from mikroE developers.

if I have time, I'll port T6963C routines to be used on old compilers, but I'll no more consider supporting them.

All code will be done only for new PRO compilers.

Regards
octal
http://www.pocketmt.com

mileta.miletic
mikroElektronika team

#7 Post by mileta.miletic » 10 Sep 2009 14:13

octal wrote: I would like to know if mikroP/mikroB/mikroC are still considered to be production compiler or are they considered to be obsolete and users have to go for PRO version of the compilers?
The old mikroP/mikroB/mikroC compilers will be supported at least 6 months.
Regards,
Mileta

Briansw

#8 Post by Briansw » 11 Sep 2009 18:24

mileta.miletic wrote:
octal wrote: I would like to know if mikroP/mikroB/mikroC are still considered to be production compiler or are they considered to be obsolete and users have to go for PRO version of the compilers?
The old mikroP/mikroB/mikroC compilers will be supported at least 6 months.
If your not gong to support the older releases in 6 months can you still keep the forum active for them for a little while past that, as there is still lots of good information contained in the posts.

Bryan

Return to “mikroPascal General”