PIC16F877A + Serial LCD issues

General discussion on mikroC PRO for PIC.
Author

PIC16F877A + Serial LCD issues

#1 Post by nem » 05 Apr 2009 22:41

Hello all and thanks for reading!

I am very new to PIC programming and am having some issues with a recent purchase of LCD. I have the following:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=813

It is a serial 16X2 LCD. I have information on how to connect a parallel LCD with my PIC but not how to interface this LCD properly...there are only 3 pins --> VCC, GND, and RX. RX is the signal pin.
Last edited by nem on 06 Apr 2009 04:32, edited 1 time in total.

nem

#2 Post by nem » 05 Apr 2009 22:51

I just realized that I may not even need the serlcd-v2.c in my project space...is this simply the code provided that is on the PIC16f688 chip that translates the parallel LCD into a serial LCD?

So would I simply need to obtain a serial routine for my PIC16F877a and output data according to the data sheet of the LCD through a single output pin? I would appreciate any clarifications or confirmations! Thanks

**EDIT**

I realize that I really don't know what I'm talking about with this application, but I'm trying to grasp it. I have been able to interface with the LCD through using the usart_write() function but am only able to transfer what appears to be garbage on the LCD side. i have tried sending integers, single characters, the hex value for the characters. None of which has worked. I can post some code if that would be helpful, but I'm shooting in the dark here. Thanks

goran.marinkovic
mikroElektronika team

#3 Post by goran.marinkovic » 08 Apr 2009 14:06

Hi,

You should connect TX line from MCU to RX line on your serial LCD.
Also you should read carefully datasheet for your serial LCD.

I can suggest you that you should search on our forum topics about serial LCD.
I believe that you will find a lot of useful information on our forum.

Regards

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC General”