used ROM and OrgAll issue

Beta Testing discussion on mikroPascal PRO for PIC.
Author

used ROM and OrgAll issue

#1 Post by jpc » 11 Aug 2015 12:01

when using a bootloader it is common practice to move the program by an OrgAll directive to protect the bootloader, i just ran into the situation that in reality the code did no longer fit but as the IDE does not take in account the memory reserved for the bootloader it will not give a warning. It would be good if this could be corrected and result in the same error that is generated when generated code exceeds the chip's resources. In my case i went over the limit by 15 words only but as is obvious with fatal results.
Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois.

filip
mikroElektronika team

Re: used ROM and OrgAll issue

#2 Post by filip » 12 Aug 2015 15:24

Hi,

Can you please attach the project that demonstrates this behavior ?

Regards,
Filip.

jpc

#3 Post by jpc » 12 Aug 2015 15:38

Filip,

no, i cannot give the code but i can explain : on a P18F87J60 i have running a UDP bootloader program starting at $2000 and loading application code that is ORGed above $4000
From the full 128Kb i have left by this approach 112kb for the application ( 114687 byte);
When building the application with this ORGALL $4000 it will check against the full 128 Kb and this is wrong because all is shifted by 16kb in this case.
Due to slightly larger code in more recent compiler versions i passed beyond the memory bound without any warning, i would like the compiler to take in account the ORGALL shift and add this to the memory used.
I hope this explains my request.

jpc

#4 Post by jpc » 13 Aug 2015 12:55

Filip,

i just discovered that my reasoning is not fully correct, part of the generated code will be inserted by the bootloader at the beginning of ROM and the linker does see this right therefore my request is mainly esthetic, there isz no risk of creating a hex that will not fit!

sorry for wasting your time

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for PIC Beta Testing”