Testing and registration

Beta Testing discussion on mikroBasic PRO for AVR.
Author

Testing and registration

#1 Post by Thomas.Pahl@t-online.de » 03 Dec 2008 18:14

Well i had waited for this announcement long time. And now i would like to test it - with my old projects - compare the code and so on. To compile the old projects - of course - i have to register my version, because of the length of expected code. But when i start my mikrobasic reg.exe - surprize! No registration. Well pykedgew now I understand! Very clever!
The blinking LED work!
The hello world work!
More it is impossible to say. - No stop: the touchpanel example for avr5a has syntax errors.
Thopas

zristic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Testing and registration

#2 Post by zristic » 04 Dec 2008 10:34

Simply, ask for a new registration key which is free of charge for already registered users.

The problems in examples are fixed now and the updated version can be found here:

http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88495#88495

Thomas.Pahl@t-online.de

#3 Post by Thomas.Pahl@t-online.de » 05 Dec 2008 11:19

Yes, that is great service! And i want to tell you at this point. Only few hours after i asked my dristibutor (Tigal for Austria and Germany - thanks for always very kind service) for new regristration key - i got it. I thought i had to wait for final release and perhaps pay for upgrade - because now it is called not only basic but basic pro. But nothing like that!

There was some disapointment in the past using your avr compiler. I thought perhaps i had better spend some more money and bought another product. When i bought compiler for dspic and then for 8051 i saw that you are able to make compilers. With 8051 came some disapointments about the list of supported mcu`s. But it filled the time - i think until now. And when i compare libraries - portability becomes easier then before. (Perhaps the list gets longer in the future (at89c51ed2!!!)?)
List of avr´s is very good - but you will be asked vor xmegas very soon.
I think you gave us a good tool!
Thopas

marko.ziv
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by marko.ziv » 05 Dec 2008 15:42

Hi,
Thopas wrote:With 8051 came some disapointments about the list of supported mcu`s. But it filled the time - i think until now. And when i compare libraries - portability becomes easier then before. (Perhaps the list gets longer in the future (at89c51ed2!!!)?)
List of avr´s is very good - but you will be asked vor xmegas very soon.
I think you gave us a good tool!
Thopas
A revision of our compilers for 8051 is planned for next year. The main focus will be adding support for as much MCUs as possible.
Regarding the xmega issue I can inform you that our hardware department is already working on a development board for Xmegas, and we will implement support for them in our compilers for AVR.

Regards

edg962

New release

#5 Post by edg962 » 06 Dec 2008 06:08

[quote]I was about to write a not-so-glossy opinion of the examples of the previous version - so many errors there. It was mind-boggling and was about to ask for RMA. But alas! A new release! Very elegant indeed! Thank you so much!

Do I need to re-register?

Of course, I will be testing it over the weekend.

One request, please. The function CHR does not allow simple byte expressions such as CHR(88+i) where i is a byte variable. It just allows constant expressions. This takes the power of what it used to accomplish in all other versions of Basic where you can go up and down the character set in a neat way, for example, using a for loop. Now it is simply not possible. Please consider this humble request for your next release. Or a simple patch for those who are interested can download for themselves.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
Ed

zristic
mikroElektronika team

Re: New release

#6 Post by zristic » 08 Dec 2008 15:22

edg962 wrote:One request, please. The function CHR does not allow simple byte expressions such as CHR(88+i) where i is a byte variable. It just allows constant expressions. This takes the power of what it used to accomplish in all other versions of Basic where you can go up and down the character set in a neat way, for example, using a for loop. Now it is simply not possible. Please consider this humble request for your next release. Or a simple patch for those who are interested can download for themselves.
Please, describe what exactly you want to do with chr. I guess what you are trying to do, but if you give a small example of what exactly you need I will write back and show you how to do that.

Thanks.

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#7 Post by zristic » 08 Dec 2008 15:24

edg962 wrote: Do I need to re-register?
License keys generated for old versions of mikroBasic for AVR will not work with our
new compiler for AVR (mikroBasic PRO for AVR).
However, if you already have purchased license for mikroBasic for AVR you are eligible
for free license of mikroBasic PRO for AVR.
Just fill in the how to register form and send us an email.
You can find it in our compiler Help -> How to Register

edg962

#8 Post by edg962 » 09 Dec 2008 02:05

Dear zristic,

Thank you for responding. I used to play games with the character set many moons ago with the CHR function. For example,

dim i as byte
dim x as char

for i = 1 to 26

x = chr(96+i) 'cannot use this simple expression 96+i inside the parenthesis. Ouch!

(then I would display the entire alphabet (a, b, c, d, e, f, g....) on screen with some special effects: Font change, color change, blinking, etc.) or, (make up words combining consonants with vowels, etc).

next i

Pls permit me one more example related to strings as well.

I used to concatenate two strings using + symbol wtih other Basics. With mikroElectrika, I need to use STRCAT function. Strcat is not working for me either. I tried the following and others without success:

string1 = "hello, "
string2 = "World!"

strcat(string1, string2)

I get error: 'Identifier strcat was not declared!' In addition, there is no example in the reference manual at all. In the entire Strings Library, there are no examples for many of the functions. Ouch!

Thanks for your time,

Best regards,
Ed

zristic wrote:
edg962 wrote:One request, please. The function CHR does not allow simple byte expressions such as CHR(88+i) where i is a byte variable. It just allows constant expressions. This takes the power of what it used to accomplish in all other versions of Basic where you can go up and down the character set in a neat way, for example, using a for loop. Now it is simply not possible. Please consider this humble request for your next release. Or a simple patch for those who are interested can download for themselves.
Please, describe what exactly you want to do with chr. I guess what you are trying to do, but if you give a small example of what exactly you need I will write back and show you how to do that.

Thanks.

yo2lio

#9 Post by yo2lio » 09 Dec 2008 07:06

edg962 wrote:I used to play games with the character set many moons ago with the CHR function. For example,

dim i as byte
dim x as char

for i = 1 to 26

x = chr(96+i) 'cannot use this simple expression 96+i inside the parenthesis. Ouch!

Code: Select all

x = 96+i
About the strcat , you must select the String library from Library Manager
Best regards, Florin Andrei Medrea.

http://www.microelemente.ro/
http://www.microelemente.ro/produse-si-servicii/
http://www.microelemente.ro/custom-software/

mail : florin@microelemente.ro

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#10 Post by zristic » 10 Dec 2008 10:45