On-Board debugging for BIG8051 in mikroPascal

General discussion on mikroPascal PRO for 8051.
Author

On-Board debugging for BIG8051 in mikroPascal

#1 Post by pkapas » 15 Feb 2017 01:02

I am interested in on-board debugger for BIG8051 under mikroPascal. Currently there is only a software debugger, what is really not enough (not realistic) to see the code functionality on real object. It could be nice to debug Pascal code and follow up the micro-controller's reaction. http://www.silabs.com/documents/public/ ... /an117.pdf
Thanks,
Peter

dusan.poluga
mikroElektronika team

Re: On-Board debugging for BIG8051 in mikroPascal

#2 Post by dusan.poluga » 15 Feb 2017 15:02

Hi,

I understand your complaint. You are correct about the software debugger.
But software debugger is purposed for simulation of mathematical functions.
For that application it does the job.

Your advice will be sent to our developers for consideration.

Regards,
Dusan Poluga.

pkapas

Re: On-Board debugging for BIG8051 in mikroPascal

#3 Post by pkapas » 15 Feb 2017 18:18

Dusan,

Sorry, but I disagree a little with your opinion about debugging just for "mathematical" reason. I am using that debugger with SiLabs software and Keils software years to troubleshoot assembly codes on C8051Fxxx family micro-controllers. It is an excellent method to find bugs in the code, mostly related to the functionality of the whole system, not just the math calculation. By the way I am not a beginner user of advanced development software, so I know what I am talking about ;) .Generally, implementation of on-board (on-chip) methodology is one of the most advanced approach to work with microelectronic applications. The modern compilers automatically are using all of the possibilities given by the technology. Not only on the level of assembly code but usually in high level languages, like C++, Pascal ... etc. For that reason it is a little curious the software from MikroElektonika is not using that advanced approach for their products. By the way, there is an other oddity also. The generated assembly code is out of standards, hard to rewrite/implement to use it if some one wants to fully use debugging possibilities of SiLab's products. MikroElektronika is using SiLab controllers, selling them with the excellent tools, development boards, but ignoring the most powerful tools given by the that products, on-chip debuggers. ... I bought BIG8051 a few years ago. I mentioned to MikroElektronika many times what missing to have full possibilities to use that excellent product. Always I got promises "our development group is working on it" ... and nothing happened up to the present.

Best regards,
Peter

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for 8051 General”