Automatic registration transfer

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroBasic.
Author

Automatic registration transfer

#1 Post by kjennejohn » 15 Nov 2005 09:24

Once again I created another folder to load the latest mE Basic (2.2) into and installed it there. Tonight I ended fiddling with my little practice programs and went to open and recompile my GLCD clock program, a major job. It squawked in short order that I had gone over the demo version. Then I remembered going through this when I installed ver 2.1 (from 2.004) into a new folder, and discovered that *it* was reported as a demo version. I had to find the registration goodie on the hard drive and transfer it to the new folder. When it still balked in compiling, I shut down the compiler and restarted it. That did the trick.
I prefer to do this in a new folder because I believe you are updating and correcting the examples, and I don't want to run the risk of mixing old, uncorrected routines with new good ones. OK, I'm a twitch.

I don't have the world's best memory, and you guys are really good about producing frequent updates. Do you suppose you could have the installation wizard look for an existing registration thingy and automatically install it in the latest (newest?) folder?

Thanks for the attention,
kenjj
All my pencils *used* to have erasers!

zristic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Automatic registration transfer

#2 Post by zristic » 15 Nov 2005 09:45

The problem with automatic updates is that the program has to connect ot internet itself. This is the least wanted feature of any software due to an increasing number of spyware programs. Furthermore, firewalls can easily block this attempt which will make us flooded with support questions.

A better idea is a monthly newsletter which is being prepared these days. Of course, with a working 'unsubscribe' option. :)

WB6BNQ

#3 Post by WB6BNQ » 15 Nov 2005 10:13

Hi Zristic,

I think you missed, entirely, the point of kjennejohn's post ! He is not asking for an automatic update of the main software program. Rather, if I am understanding correctly, he is asking for either :

1. Additional coding to be included in the MAIN program installation process to seek out, ON HIS LOCAL COMPUTER, the legal license information from a previous and active version of the ME compiler program. Once found to then copy said license form to the proper directory for the newer installed version of the ME compiler. All without losing the operability of the previous working version on his system.

OR

2. To incorporate the above function in a separate { ???.exe } program that can be run [ after ] the installation of said newer version, ON HIS LOCAL COMPUTER.

Bill....WB6BNQ

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by zristic » 15 Nov 2005 10:26

Sorry for misunderstanding.

All you have to do is to find "mikroBasic.key" file in your installation folder and to copy it to a new destination folder. If on the same disk, the licence will work.

Search facility in setup program can be made. We will consider it.

kjennejohn

#5 Post by kjennejohn » 15 Nov 2005 20:42

Bill hit it on the head with number 1: find the registration whoosie and copy or move it into the folder with the latest installation. Number 2 demands that we remember to run "???.exe", and faulty memory is the problem here.

Twice now I had the latest install come up and produce a "demo version" error message. The first time I got the answer on a thread right after the introduction of 2.1 because someone else brought up this problem. The second time it happened close enough to the first time to remember, but not instantly, and then I wasn't entitrely sure which icon to copy over. The next update may be considerably further off, giving me, and others, fit conniptions about dealing with this yet again, because the fix has dropped out of memory.
Look at it this way: after installation, the wizard could look for the registration ticket. If it doesn't find it, you can put out a one time nag screen reminding the user that there is a 2k limit. If it doesn't, and the user DID have a registered program, he has a warning that something is very wrong. If the installer finds and copies the registration ticket, the user is assured no nasty error messages about limits in the middle of his/her work.

Be buddy, be a pal, at least consider it.
kenjj

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#6 Post by zristic » 16 Nov 2005 10:47

Sounds too complicated, huh? Would we be flooded with support question about this? :roll:

kjennejohn

#7 Post by kjennejohn » 16 Nov 2005 20:53

OK.

kenjj

Return to “mikroBasic Wish List”