A breadboard for the EZPIC3

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroBasic.
Author

A breadboard for the EZPIC3

#1 Post by kjennejohn » 25 Aug 2005 21:10

Yeah, I know, the thing is loaded to the max, but STILL a breadboard is a nice thing to have for the occasional 'one off' project!

I was thinking a plugin like the present adapters, which plug down over the I/O port headers presently at the border. Perhaps a version for two or three full ports so the user has lots of I/O to hook to, along with some way to use on board power or bring in external voltages. The bread board itself doesn't have to be huge.

Waddaya think? Good? Bad? Add more features?

Later!
kenjj
All my pencils *used* to have erasers!

LGR

#2 Post by LGR » 26 Aug 2005 15:59

What would be helpful is a board that converts the 2x5 to 1x10, so that it can be placed in a standard white breadboard. An actual white breadboard that connects to the 2x5 headers, and connects the power pins would be even nicer.
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

kjennejohn

Exactly!

#3 Post by kjennejohn » 26 Aug 2005 19:04

The second suggestion is exactly what I was talking about! A white breadboard designed to use all those 2x5 headers. Or a header cable assembly that allows a breadboard to be used. Say, one cable per header, so you choose which port (i.e. header) to connect to.

Maybe we've found a killer product here! (nahh!)

kenjj
All my pencils *used* to have erasers!

Charlie

#4 Post by Charlie » 26 Aug 2005 21:12

I have made My own connector the connects from the Dev. Board to the Bread board.Its not that hard. :wink: :wink:
Regards Charlie M.

LGR

#5 Post by LGR » 27 Aug 2005 02:59

Charlie wrote:Its not that hard.
But any time you go from 2-row to 1 row, it has to be hand-made, which takes time. A breakout board would make life a lot easier.

Charlie

#6 Post by Charlie » 27 Aug 2005 09:31

LGR WROTE :
But any time you go from 2-row to 1 row, it has to be hand-made, which takes time
Well I like to do this as a hobby.I went all out and bought PCB software and everything I need the make my own PCBs.Something Like this only takes a hour from start to finish.:)
Regards Charlie M.

xor

#7 Post by xor » 28 Aug 2005 14:19

I can recommend a no solder solution to this problem. Grab one of your standard IDE harddrive flat cables (I have several I don't use), chop off one end and get a 40-pin RIBBON CABLE DIP PLUG (see Jameco Electronics link below). The whole setup runs about $2.50 USD, cheaper if you have the IDE cable. This setup will cover at least 2 Ports of pins on the EasyPIC board.

You can get DIP PLUGS for the cable configuration you want.

http://jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser ... yId=304067
[color=darkred][b]xor[/b][/color]
[url=http://circuit-ed.com]CircuitED -[/url]

LGR

#8 Post by LGR » 30 Aug 2005 00:05

yesiam wrote:I can recommend a no solder solution to this problem. Grab one of your standard IDE harddrive flat cables (I have several I don't use), chop off one end and get a 40-pin RIBBON CABLE DIP PLUG (see Jameco Electronics link below). The whole setup runs about $2.50 USD, cheaper if you have the IDE cable. This setup will cover at least 2 Ports of pins on the EasyPIC board.
That will work, as long as the DIP plug has long enough pins to stay in the whiteboard. I've never seen one that will stay in, though.

xor

#9 Post by xor » 30 Aug 2005 01:17

LGR wrote:That will work, as long as the DIP plug has long enough pins to stay in the whiteboard. I've never seen one that will stay in, though.
True. So I will be a little more creative. Try this solution:

Get a 10-pin (2 x 5 @ .1") Female IDC Ribbon Connector (fits on the EasyPic) , a piece of the many colored 10-conductor Ribbon Cable (available everywhere), and a 20-pin (2 x 10 @ .1") Male IDC Ribbon Connector (pins are definitely long enough!). This gives you all 10 EasyPIC port pins in a 10 across format, perfect for the protoboard. Note that the ribbon does not have to be in the way of your protoboard work since it can be mounted on the edge rather than the middle as with the standard .3" or .6" DIP's.

IDC's are really quick and easy and work best with solid wire. The colored ribbon cable makes it easier to rearrange the pin order to your liking too.
[color=darkred][b]xor[/b][/color]
[url=http://circuit-ed.com]CircuitED -[/url]

Return to “mikroBasic Wish List”