Mikropascal for Linux ?

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroPascal.
Author

Mikropascal for Linux ?

#1 Post by JARETAMAR » 16 Dec 2005 04:39

Does Mikroelectronica have plans to port Mikropascal Compiler to Linux ?

zristic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Mikropascal for Linux ?

#2 Post by zristic » 16 Dec 2005 11:36

Yes, in the second half of 2006.

anton

#3 Post by anton » 18 Dec 2005 11:45

Hi zoran,

Thank you, this will be great. MikroElektronika is the best :)

What compiler are you going to use?

Anton
Another proud user of LV 24-33A Development System and mikroPascal PRO for dsPIC :)
PortA not working? Add CMCON := 7; PortD not working? Add ADCON1 := 6;
To paste code on the forum, please use the [b] Code [/b] button !! ;)

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by zristic » 19 Dec 2005 09:36

anton wrote:What compiler are you going to use?
Probably Kylix, since all of our code is in Delphi. We actually tried to compile the IDE and it worked fine on SUSE 9.0. However, it needs a lot more of tuning before we actually release it.

ghita3001

#5 Post by ghita3001 » 29 Dec 2005 22:09

Uau!
This is great news.
When the version for MP apeares for linux I'll buy for sure also a dev board.
Mikroelektronika rules.

vonck67

Is there some news about the MikroPascal for Linux?

#6 Post by vonck67 » 17 Sep 2006 21:32

Hello ME,
is there some news about the linux version of MikroPascal?
I read you compiled the program successfully with Kylix.
Did you consider FreePascal, as Kylix is no longer continued by Borland?

Greetz,

Frans-Pieter Vonck
Amsterdam

LGR

#7 Post by LGR » 17 Sep 2006 22:51

ZRISTIC - Rather that port to a different compiler, it may be a lot easier to see what's involved in making Delphi applications work with WINE. It may be a very simple thing to get the correct dll's, and package it to launch the windows binary files using WINE. I know that's what corel did when they produced draw and wordperfect for linux. They didn't recompile them.

I can actually launch mikro installer with WINE under SuSE 10.1. It installs perfectly. It just doesn't execute after it installs. :? From what I understand, this simply means that it didn't link the correct dll's. For someone who understands how WINE works, it may just be a few hours to produce a viable package.

The other issue that may require a little effort is the USB driver for picflash. Again, someone who understands these things should be able to do it in short order.
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

Donald Shimoda

#8 Post by Donald Shimoda » 09 Oct 2006 15:12

LGR wrote:ZRISTIC - Rather that port to a different compiler, it may be a lot easier to see what's involved in making Delphi applications work with WINE. It may be a very simple thing to get the correct dll's, and package it to launch the windows binary files using WINE. I know that's what corel did when they produced draw and wordperfect for linux. They didn't recompile them.

I can actually launch mikro installer with WINE under SuSE 10.1. It installs perfectly. It just doesn't execute after it installs. :? From what I understand, this simply means that it didn't link the correct dll's. For someone who understands how WINE works, it may just be a few hours to produce a viable package.

The other issue that may require a little effort is the USB driver for picflash. Again, someone who understands these things should be able to do it in short order.
I disagree, making work software with WINE is not so easy. Check the winedb and you will see a lot of application waiting for some brain making it works. The better solution without doubts is generate a KYLIX project, must be easy, or work with MONO and Chrome stuff, must be easy also if you have all that code in PASCAL.

bmarkham

Status of linux port?

#9 Post by bmarkham » 22 Sep 2008 19:30

I see from this thread that in 2005 linux versions of the compiler(s) were in the works. What is the status of that?

Thanks!
Brett

zristic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Status of linux port?

#10 Post by zristic » 22 Sep 2008 20:28

Yes, it's been quite some time... :roll:

What we are currently doing is separating the compilers from IDE. This is the first step towards linux. Out intention is to put as little platform dependent code as possible. This will make it possible to compile the source code on linux.

So far, we have completed atmel 8051 support, almost there with atmel AVR, while the next step is PIC. Once we are confident in the stability of the releases, we will recompile all the source for linux.

Shortly, this is the answer to your question.

bmarkham

#11 Post by bmarkham » 27 Sep 2008 02:39

Cool!

funlw65

#12 Post by funlw65 » 18 Feb 2009 04:57

Well, another one here waiting for a Linux version :P
And I know a lot of people wanting decent tools for PIC developement on Linux.

As far as I know, Borland ported Delphi (Kylix) with the help of WINE library developement... big mistake in my opinion...
Another big mistake was to use TrollTech Qt library (old version and impossible to develop it further) instead of making their own library (porting VCL to linux). I don't know if JVCL is linux aware ...

Until now, only JAL v.2 is a good solution for Linux...
Last edited by funlw65 on 24 Feb 2009 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

funlw65

Qt 4.5 under LGPL

#13 Post by funlw65 » 24 Feb 2009 23:16

rc.ozzy

#14 Post by rc.ozzy » 09 Jan 2016 10:42

Actually, I did not know that jalv2 was a compiler (IDE) as robust.
It has modern libraries (i2c, usb, uart, glcd ...), runs on linux / windows (tested on Windows 98SE), works with the best bootloaders (tinybootloader and picdemusb) and that just as the ladder compiler LDmicro does, he already automatically inserts the magic line 020000040000FA in the code first, then we need not worry about the reset vector.
Moreover, its language is very simple, it is 'like Easter', which makes it, in my opinion, simpler than the own C. Even if there was some difficulty, the examples provided with the compiler has been widely commented, and there a free book on the website.
We can still say that there is a great and gentle community working quite the compiler jalv2. Support is wonderful! And it's free!
I think there is no better tool for PIC's the microchip.

At the moment, I continue using the compilers of MIKROE for 3 reasons:
1) I'm passionate about the BASIC language (use the mikroBasic);
2) Have a lot of friends who use, or ask me, C programs (conversion between MIKROE compilers is very easy because the syntax is similar). This makes it easy to share codes.
3) Recently, I had to help a friend in 8051 and atmel AVR. I started with BASCOM 8051 and BASCOM AVR. However, because the teacher asked programs written in C, did not think twice to use the mikroC PRO for AVR. That is, to change the microcontroller was also easy.

I have read in this forum complaints and suggestions on MIKROE tools in Linux. In my opinion, much more important than that are the drivers.

For example, using the wine, I found some complaints like 'the toolbar buttons do not appear' -clicando twice, they appeared. Or 'text area disappeared' - opening a new project, decided also. Yet seen 'on the wine the system is slow' -I also thought fastest compiler in windows, after the system was designed for windows, but can work well in the wine. All compilers MIKROE I used in Linux ran well on the wine.

My complaint is still on the drivers. For example, I use to uart bootloaders, the Pic-Ready Bootloader v1.00, with FTDI chip. It was very easy to record my pic's (16f877a and 18f4520). Perhaps the MIKROE has not developed more tools for Linux because they do not know if anyone uses ... So I'm saying I USE! lol

Also tested the mikroHIDbootloader with the PIC18F4550 in windows7. It was great! Too bad there is no official HID bootloader version MIKROE under linux.

See the microchip left the MAL (microchip aplication lybraries) available for Linux, and using the piklab can upload codes in picdemusb. I think the MIKROE should do AT LEAST something.

We can in linux use MIKROE compilers, and even upload the code to use UART bootloader. Does not give at all is to use the HID bootloader. For use with the boot of picdemusb, need to change the code of the reset vector (with instruction org), or change the start of the hex file (with the 020000040000FA line) -that wisely jalv2 does automatically.

You could not do only Mikrobootloader HID for linux, for it to be as easy as you would on windows?

Even in MIKROE tools (picflash, avrflash, MikroProg) I see a lot of people asking for drivers ...

Anyone who wants to comment, welcome! Thank for still studying it! The jalv2 support really has been the best!

Anyone who wants to comment, welcome! Thank for still studying it! The jalv2 support really has been the best!

Thank you! :wink:

t-edson

#15 Post by t-edson » 04 May 2017 03:28

It's a pity there is not a MikroPascal for Linux. I am currently writing my own Pascal compiler PicPas.

It can be compiled in Windows/Linux/Mac (no tested) and in 32/64 bits. Include an IDE with syntax highlighter, code-folding and autocompletion and it generates very optimized code. And it's Free.

About JALV2, I would say it's slow and the compiler not optimizes well. No comparison with MikroPascal. Moreover, the IDE is archaic, it looks developed in VB6.

Return to “mikroPascal Wish List”