ZIF socket for the RSC-4x

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of RSC-4x mikroC.
Author

ZIF socket for the RSC-4x

#1 Post by Bob Lawrence » 19 Aug 2006 00:45

I had problems getting the math demo program to work and after inspecting the RSC-4x chip I decided to push it in a little more becasue it was not totally seated and a little tilted to one side. As I pressed it down there wasn't any further movement (with some pressure) so I decided to pull it all the way out and put it back in. The RSC-4x chip was extreamly hard to pull out. When I finally got it out and inspected it, I observed some debree (looks like solder splash) on the pins. Not only did the chip come out but the little metal locking clips/clamps (several of them) pulled out from the 40 pin DIP socket. I had to use a microscope to push the metal pieces back into the socket. ALso , the chips have exposed components on both sides and depending what is used to pulled them out could easily damage the components on the bottom. I think that ZIF should be used on all of the developement boards with 40 pin dips and when purchased in bulk would not cost that much additional for the convinence. The first mod I did to my easypic2 board last year was to add a Zif socket to the existing 40 pin DIP (just pushed it on top)

I then replaced the the RSC-4x with the spare that I ordered and it appears to be working again but I may have a problem on a few pins. Time will tell. The demos seem to work great on a quick test but the math one still has a problem but I have to try a few other things before I blame the socket.

Bob Lawrence

ZiF socket installed

#2 Post by Bob Lawrence » 23 Aug 2006 03:20

I used my SMD rework station and a Microscope to unsoldered the original socket and installed the Zif. It and it seems to work ok.

So much for my warranty :)

Return to “RSC-4x mikroC Wish List”