Performance of Mikro Pascal over Basic

General discussion on mikroPascal for AVR.
Author

Performance of Mikro Pascal over Basic

#1 Post by Chris D » 29 Apr 2008 12:18

Hi everyone,

I have been doing a lot of programming with BASCOM and am now looking to branch out a bit in the world of MICROs. While BASCOM has served me very well and I like it a lot, I am looking for a performance advantage. I found mikroElektronika and am impressed with the information on the website - especially the documentation.

I have been programming in BASIC since about 1980 and have tried and failed numerous times to learn C.

I can somewhat understand the PASCAL language and am thinking of giving it a try. I am wondering what advantages I will have by selecting mikroPascal over mikroBasic?

Nearly every project I have ever done, I have hit the "speed limit" with BASIC programs and am looking for performance advantages where I can. Any speed comparisions or other comparisons would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Chris D

filip
mikroElektronika team

#2 Post by filip » 30 Apr 2008 15:00

They are pretty similar, considering their "speed".
So basically, differences are inconspicuously small.
I think you should choose compiler according to your preferences.
Hope this helps...

mbruck

BAscomAvr vs. MikroPaskal

#3 Post by mbruck » 15 Jun 2008 17:45

Don't use MikoPaskal !!!!

It's completely wast of money!

BascomAvr is still miles and miles ahead of MikroPaskal. MikroPaskal for AVR is too buggy for even smal projects. Just read a forum and you will find so many user complains.

Also, Mikroelektronika team is most worst support I ever seen. There are stil several and several question hanging more than 2 years (!!!!) with 0 replies!!! Moreover, there are plenty of replies like "We are working on that".

Shame on you Mikrorelektronika's team! Thanks to your bad support and slow development, MikroPaskal is worst Pascal compiler for AVR user can buy on internet.

johankrava

#4 Post by johankrava » 11 Oct 2008 20:11

Unfortunately I have to agree with mbruck.
PopularMicrocontrollers.com - [url=http://popularmicrocontrollers.com/]AVR Microcontrollers[/url]

Spacetime

#5 Post by Spacetime » 12 Oct 2008 11:33

Let me shortly describe my story:

10 years ago I purchased a Pascal compiler for 8051 from KSC. It was not cheap. During my first project I discovered that the compiler has so many bugs it is useless. I sent them many emails - not a single reply received! At that time I decided to write my own Pascal compiler for 8051. Now Turbo51 is released as a freeware, bugs get fixed in a matter of days, features are added, etc.

Mikroelektronika seems a good company. Excellent web site, good products (I own an Easy8051B board - almost perfect!), however, I don't use their software. For 8-bit micros I use 8051 derivatives and use my Pascal compiler, for 32-bits I prefer ARM micros and use FreePascal.

I don't know much about AVR, but I'm pretty sure that if they will continue to sell unsupported products with bugs they will be facing problems. Having a comunity of angry users is never good.

Some time ago I was thinking of porting my compiler to AVR but then I decided to stay with 8051. Now it seems I will have to reconsider this.
turbo51.com - [url=http://turbo51.com]Free Pascal compiler for 8051[/url]

jboavida

#6 Post by jboavida » 13 Oct 2008 15:10

Hi,

I like pascal. I use delphi in the PC world, and Bascom when I want to use AVR's.

I am waiting long ago for a reliable, cost effective Pascal compiler for the AVR. Out there we have AVRCO from E-lab but the price is very high.

It will be a great idea if you have a Pascal compiler, the same way you have for the 8051.

Joaquim

JohannesH

#7 Post by JohannesH » 14 Oct 2008 16:40

I like pascal. I use delphi in the PC world, and Bascom when I want to use AVR's.
I am waiting long ago for a reliable, cost effective Pascal compiler for the AVR. Out there we have AVRCO from E-lab but the price is very high.
It will be a great idea if you have a Pascal compiler, the same way you have for the 8051.
I double what Joaquim said!

I paid for this Mikropascal AVR compiler but you cannot use it for programs bigger than the demos - too many bugs. And also I was thinking about trying to write my own compiler but I have no experience with doing this (but I recently bought the new release of the "Dragon Book") - will take a long time.

So Spacetime, I really would enjoy a new pascal compiler for AVR!

Regards
Johannes
[/quote]

johankrava

#8 Post by johankrava » 18 Oct 2008 14:52

I hope some day there will be a good Pascal compiler for AVR like there is now Turbo51, a very good and free Pascal compiler for 8051. Keep fingers crossed!
PopularMicrocontrollers.com - [url=http://popularmicrocontrollers.com/]AVR Microcontrollers[/url]

Return to “mikroPascal for AVR General”