Necto questions and plans

General discussion on IDE.
Author

Necto questions and plans

#1 Post by 32bits » 27 Feb 2020 21:16

I downloaded Necto demo and it looks very nice IDE, I am also an owner for Mikro C Pro 32 and 8 bit version. My questions are for the direction of Microelectronica with Necto and older Mikro C compilers.

So will the be more updates for MIkro C PIC32 PRO and are there any timescales for these, or as there has been no updates for a long time is this compiler now moving into a none support phase?

Will you be adding PIC32 support to Necto and what indication will there be for extra costs?

Will you be adding NXP MCU's to Necto for ARM and whats the timescale?

Will one version of Necto run different MCU compilers, so ARM and PIC32, or will you have to buy two different versions of Necto?

Will existing MICRO PROG programmers be supported by Necto, if not what external programmers plans do you have?

I don't plan to buy your 8th generation Dev boards as I already have Fusion for PIC32 and PIC 8 bit, how will Necto support these 7th generation Dev boards?

I am looking to buy an ARM compiler, MIKRO C PRO ARM is one solution but how does this compare to Necto?

Do you have a detailed video showing the features and plans for Necto?

I hope you can give answers for all these questions as they will help your existing customers understand the direction for Necto and what is needed to make a working toolchain.

filip.grujcic

Re: Necto questions and plans

#2 Post by filip.grujcic » 28 Feb 2020 16:13

Hello,

The plan for now is that the next update for PIC32 compilers will be the Necto update, meaning it will be supported in the Necto Studio. At this moment, I do not have the information regarding the mikroC PRO for PIC32 update, as this depends on when the Necto update for PIC32 compilers arrives.
As for the cost, the same policy will be followed as for mikroC AI for ARM, there will be appropriate discounts for users (both those who have and have not purchased mikroC PRO for PIC32).

Necto got an update just recently that added legacy support for NXP MCUs. (meaning everything is the same as in mikroC PRO for ARM, except you can use them with Necto now).

mikroProgs will be supported in Necto, the first ones should be supported in a couple of months.
As for the 7th generation boards, same thing applies as they have mikroProgs on them, however when it comes to board definition files, I'm afraid I do not have this information yet.

Current compilers will stop being supported once Necto gets officially released. Therefore, it might be more worth to invest into Necto, rather than mikroC PRO.

Currently there are no videos for Necto.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Kind regards,
Filip Grujcic

32bits

Re: Necto questions and plans

#3 Post by 32bits » 01 Mar 2020 22:28

Hi Filip,

Thank you for your replies, has Mikro considered a subscription method for Necto payment / purchase? If you have contact info for your installed base of existing customers maybe you could poll them for feedback as a subscription model might work better for Mikroe and customers and provide faster updates and cost base?

Return to “IDE General”