How to select the development board in Necto IDE?

General discussion on IDE.
Author

How to select the development board in Necto IDE?

#1 Post by Toley » 15 Dec 2019 23:51

I know it's a beta release but it seems there is still work to do before it can be used for development.

I'm using Fusion v8 for ARM development board with a STM32F407ZG MCU card. I try to import a simple example project, I use the simplest example for this purpose the blink project.

Firstly, when opening the project, many errors are flagged but this is normal. I compile the program and it compile but the errors do not disappear. I have to close the file and reopen it to remove the errors.
error.png
error.png (59.86 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
I try to select the board, but none are available only MCU can be selected.
board.png
board.png (12.28 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
I have selected CodeGrip as the programmer but when I click the program button, I see "Connecting to device failed." message.
Prog.png
Prog.png (24.14 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
Serge T.
Learning is an endeless process but it must start somewhere!

nlukic
mikroElektronika team

Re: How to select the development board in Necto IDE?

#2 Post by nlukic » 16 Dec 2019 16:51

Hello Toley,

Thank you for your feedback. I will try to answer your questions:
Firstly, when opening the project, many errors are flagged but this is normal. I compile the program and it compile but the errors do not disappear. I have to close the file and reopen it to remove the errors.
Reason for this is that first time you open the LedBlinking project, there are no *.emcl files for MCU definition file.
After build, *.emcl files are generated but the code model is not automatically refreshed. This is a known issue, and we will try to fix it ASAP and include it in one of the next updates.
I try to select the board, but none are available only MCU can be selected.
This section is imagined to hold all information about some particular HW board (description, supported MCUs, and some other features that are not included yet in BETA). Board is defined by currently selected profile. Profile = toolchain + board + MCU + (mikroSDK optional). Read more about profiles and their usage, in help, available directly from NECTO Strudio, or you can access it from here https://help.mikroe.com/
I have selected CodeGrip as the programmer but when I click the program button, I see "Connecting to device failed." message.
Not sure what happened here, we could not reproduce this. Can you, please try to connect to the same board via CODEGRIP Suite? If problem exists only in NECTO Studio, we will investigate it further.

One more thing: Can you please tell me on which operating system you are using NECTO Studio?
nlukic

mikroElektronika team

Toley

#3 Post by Toley » 16 Dec 2019 18:56

Hi nlukic,

The board is programming via CodeGrip on the classic IDE it is connected to the same USB port no change. I'm using Win10 64bits v1903.
Serge T.

nlukic
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by nlukic » 17 Dec 2019 10:18

Hello Toley,

It is possible that program inside MCU is toggling programming lines (GPIOA) and therefore connecting to board is not possible.

You can try to mass erase MCU from NECTO Studio (Ctrl + Shift + E), and then try to program it again. If that fails, please try to use CodeGrip Suite, downloaded from:
https://download.mikroe.com/documents/f ... taller.zip
and erase MCU from there. After success MCU erase, you should be able to program it from Necto Studio. Please, let me know how all this ended.

Regards,
nlukic

mikroElektronika team

Toley

#5 Post by Toley » 18 Dec 2019 12:59

CodeGrip is working correctly, like I said I'm able to program the same code on the classic IDE. I've try like you suggest connect to codegrip and erase the part with success.
CodeGrip.png
CodeGrip.png (39.58 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
But I still have this error message in Necto.
failed.png
failed.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
Serge T.

nlukic
mikroElektronika team

#6 Post by nlukic » 18 Dec 2019 17:41

Hello Toley,

I think we managed to find out what was the problem here. There is some incompatibility issue between CodeGrip Suite and Necto Studio DLLs. We have fixed this and it's going to go with the next update of Necto Studio, with some other fixes. The update is planned for the end of the month.
In the meantime, as a workaround, you can try to disconnect your Fusion v8 for ARM board from CodeGrip Suite, and then try to program with Necto Studio.

Regards,
nlukic

mikroElektronika team

Toley

#7 Post by Toley » 18 Dec 2019 17:48

nlukic wrote: In the meantime, as a workaround, you can try to disconnect your Fusion v8 for ARM board from CodeGrip Suite, and then try to program with Necto Studio.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. This is what I have reported that I cannot program with Necto Studio!
Serge T.

nlukic
mikroElektronika team

#8 Post by nlukic » 19 Dec 2019 09:13

Hello Toley,

Please open CodeGrip Suite, and go to "Scanning" section. Power on your Fusion for ARM v8 board, and click "SCAN DEVICES" button. In a moment, your Fusion for ARM v8 board should be listed in the device list.
Click on button with USB icon to disconnect your Fusion for ARM v8 board from CodeGrip Suite. Icon should go gray. Now, you should be able to program from Necto Studio.

Regards,
Attachments
code_grip.PNG
code_grip.PNG (32.5 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
code_grip2.PNG
code_grip2.PNG (30.31 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
nlukic

mikroElektronika team

Return to “IDE General”