Misleading Products VTFT and MikroC Pro for ARM/Necto

mikroC, mikroBasic and mikroPascal for PRO ARM® MCUs, supporting STM32, Tiva, Kinetis, & CEC devices
Author

Misleading Products VTFT and MikroC Pro for ARM/Necto

#1 Post by Coach » 18 May 2020 04:38

Greetings,

I am becoming more and more disappointed with this purchase as the days pass.

Purchase:

Fusion v8 For ARM STM32F407ZG
Mikromedia 4 for STM32F4 Capacitive FPI with bezel
And a handful of click boards
MikroCPro for ARM Compiler

Issues:
1. My board showed up damaged and an RMA was issued via email. However, I am worried about doing it. They state if you don't follow the instructions to the exact letter your product will be held in customs and there is nothing this company can do about it. This sounds like I can potentially be out ~$400. Not cool!

2. I am NOT thrilled about the misleading "Integrated VTFT" verbiage. I was under the impression with my purchase of compiler the USB dongle would cover them both. This is not the case because I am being told to buy a license. So does that mean two USB ports are now supposed to be dedicated license dongle ports now?

3. I am having a hard time with anything other than example projects. I used an example UART and everything works. However, when I start a project from scratch while literally copying and pasting my code from the example into new project while ensuring all the appropriate check boxes are marked nothing works. When I make forum posts, I expect to wait to either be ignored or a reply 22-28 hours later.

4. Documentation is sparse!!!!!!!!!!

5. I am trying to find the library for the TFT4 in libstock and its nowhere to be found. The Click for the IR THERMO is nowhere to be found in Necto. What kind of product are you guys selling? Don't get me wrong, the Fusion is gorgeous! But actually using it seems damn near impossible!

Today I was trying to build a screen visually and upload it to my TFT and still a grey screen. When I switch to code and switch back I can open any screens or add new ones. This is just silly.

Cheers,

filip.grujcic

Re: Misleading Products VTFT and MikroC Pro for ARM/Necto

#2 Post by filip.grujcic » 18 May 2020 14:06

Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing with our products.

1) Regarding the first issue, you don't have to worry about your product being kept by a customs office. Simply follow the instructions provided to you.

2) Integration of VTFT into compilers was to ease and simplify the usage, if having another USB dongle is not an option for you, you may choose the electronic license instead.

3) Make sure your clock settings are correct. Open Edit Project window (Ctrl + Shift + E) while in IDE and check the configuration.

4) What documentation are you referring to exactly?

5) What exactly do you mean by "library for the TFT4? IrThermo example will be made available publicly soon. All Click board examples are being rewritten using mikroSDK v2, therefore, all of them will eventually be available in Necto too.

Regards,
Filip Grujcic

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » 22 May 2020 21:21

3) Make sure your clock settings are correct. Open Edit Project window (Ctrl + Shift + E) while in IDE and check the configuration.
I'm using the STM32F407ZG at what seems to be the default 168 mHz
4) What documentation are you referring to exactly?
I'm referring to any of the documentation. Am I supposed to use the MicroSDK? Any books I find regarding STM32 programming don't seem to line up with much of the language examples I find in the "HELP" portion of the compiler. I have been stuck in the AVR world for so long. STM is just a whole new game and I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.
5) What exactly do you mean by "library for the TFT4? IrThermo example will be made available publicly soon. All Click board examples are being rewritten using mikroSDK v2, therefore, all of them will eventually be available in Necto too.
When I tried using the supposed vTFT software, I assumed I should be able to specify somewhere that I bought "This Screen" so the screen resolution would be correct and more. The only thing I succeeded at doing was uploading a poorly scaled image to the screen with a button. But the button press never seemed to work and I can't reopen the screen editor and add screens or edit the existing screen.

I ended up just completely wiping Windows 10 and starting from scratch with this because $1000 is a lot of money to spend and I am really wanting this to work before I give up on MikroE

Cheers,

filip.grujcic

#4 Post by filip.grujcic » 26 May 2020 09:19

Hello,

Typing 168 in the MCU frequency textbox is not enough, you have to make sure that the clock registers are configured for the 168MHz clock. These are shown in the Edit Project window. Since this is ARM architecture, you can configure them through code as well, but setting them in Edit Project is recommended. If you are moving to STM32 from AVR, this is the first big step as STM32's clock tree is a lot more complex.
You can click on the Load Scheme button and look for the scheme that you want for your MCU and load it. This will configure the registers automatically for you.

An extensive help file is available to you by pressing F1 while in the IDE. You can find every feature of the IDE and libraries described here.

As for the screen resolution issue, the only place where you can configure this is in the initialization function of the TFT. Double check this function and make sure you entered the correct resolution.

You can find the example for mikromedia 4 here:
https://libstock.mikroe.com/projects/vi ... capacitive

Regards,
Filip Grujcic

stevediaz933@gmail.com

#5 Post by stevediaz933@gmail.com » 29 Jan 2024 10:47

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing with your recent purchase. It sounds frustrating, especially with the issues around the damaged board and potential customs complications. Regarding the misleading information about the 'Integrated VTFT' and the licensing concerns, I recommend reaching out to the customer support team for clarification. They should be able to provide detailed information and assist with any licensing inquiries.

For the difficulties you're encountering with creating projects from scratch and the sparse documentation, it might be beneficial to consult the community forums or contact technical support. They can offer guidance on troubleshooting and provide insights into any specific issues you're facing.

As for the missing libraries in libstock and difficulties with the TFT4 and IR THERMO, it's indeed important for the company to address these concerns promptly. I recommend bringing these issues to the attention of the support team for resolution.

Return to “ARM PRO Compilers”