USB HID Bootloader Problem with WINDOWS 10 SOLVED

General discussion on mikroPascal PRO for PIC32.
Author

USB HID Bootloader Problem with WINDOWS 10 SOLVED

#1 Post by Rotary_Ed » 25 Nov 2018 16:22

Previously, I had the problem whereby the USB HID Bootloader would not work with my OS Windows 10. I tried dozens of supposed fixes without any success. :( That is until VCC shared his solution by changing the Timer value in the Source code for the Chip firmware. I followed his suggestion and the USB HID Bootloader worked with Windows 10. :D

That got me to thinking :shock: . I have been using the firmware source code for the bootloader for several years having compiled it with my fuse setting and it worked fine with Windows 7. Well, when I switched to Windows 10, I continued to use the old bootloader code that had worked so successufly with windows 7 in my chip.

After VCC's suggestion which worked, I decided to look up the USB HID Bootloader code that comes in MikroPascal Pro version 4.0 Tool folder (the latest version I have).
When I checked the new USBDriver file, I noticed the timer value had been changed from the value of 250 to 5000. 5000 was considerably less than the value VCC suggested, but certainly quite a bit more than the 250 in the older code.

I compiled the new bootloader code and programmed it to my board. Hooked up the board to my windows 10 computer and success!!! - it connected and worked. :D So the clear answer to my problem with Windows 10 was continuing to use the older bootloader code which did not have the timer value change. Once I started using the code provided with version 4.0 of the compiler everything was fine.

The problem was never with the USB_HID Bootloader App on the PC. It was not a problem with Windows 10 either. The problem was my failure :( to use the latest (revised) firmware source code provided by Mikro. At least that was the core of my problem with Windows 10.

Thanks again to VCC who put me on the right track and Fillip who provided a number of suggestions who had no idea that I was not using the latest firmware code. I was using the latest USB HID Bootloader App - but, naturally that did not solve the problem because of the outdated firmware source code I continued to use.

Hopefully, this will help those who had my "problem" with Windows 10 and the USB HID bootloader.

Thanks to All for their suggestions and help.
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered

Rotary_Ed

Re: USB HID Bootloader Problem with WINDOWS 10 SOLVED

#2 Post by Rotary_Ed » 25 Nov 2018 17:14

VCC pointed out to me that is not the Timer delay that is crucial rather its the interval where the need was to reduce the delay from a total of 20msec to just 1 msec as shown in the Compiler version4.0 code.

Ok, Thanks VCC

Yes, I see where in their latest code Mikro has reduced it from
the Two 10msec delays to one 1msec delay. Sorry, my mistake, thought it was the timer delay.

Code: Select all

end;
      Delay_1ms();
      if timer = 0 then // Do we have a timeout?
        begin
          Result := 0;  //   Yes, return with do application code.
          Exit;

Sorry about the misinformation I passed earlier
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

VCC

#3 Post by VCC » 25 Nov 2018 17:47

I'm glad it works. I would like to see mikroe open source their tests, so every user could actually run those tests against their latest libraries and compilers, or old ones. And yes, I understand that a lot of them require a hardware to test on. It's pretty difficult for a user to keep track of all fixes in libraries, compilers and examples. Also, there is no automated mechanism of notifying users when a fix goes in. In this way, users can have more input (maybe contributions) to various problems and also different expectations.
Just another (extreme) idea. :)

Rotary_Ed

#4 Post by Rotary_Ed » 25 Nov 2018 18:38

I agree, in the interim, just glad we have users like you on the list willing to share.

Otherwise, I would still be stuck on this problem. Can't tell you how many "fixes" I tried on Windows 10 which did not solve the problem, but then it was a "me" problem in not thinking that a new version of the compiler would come with the rest of the package (including tools) update for the latest operating environment.

Thanks Again, VCC
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for PIC32 General”