MegaHurts Wish List for Visual-TFT

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of Visual TFT Software.
Author

Re: MegaHurts Wish List for Visual-TFT

#31 Post by Megahurts » 19 Jul 2013 20:50

You're Welcome OT, and any who find it useful. 8)

I would not have felt right keeping something like that a secret to myself. :oops:

On another note:

In the V-TFT help file, in the FT800 section about drawing the screen, the help file incorrectly states one of the draw screen
options as: sub procedure DrawScreenR(dim aScreen as ^TScreen, dim loadRes as byte) (Basic version).

If you do not know it yet, the actual form is: sub procedure DrawScreenO(dim aScreen as ^TScreen, dim loadRes as byte).

It also lists a bunch of constants for options to use where "loadRes" is indicated that instruct the FT800 in different ways to handle
what gets redrawn and reloaded in to the GRAM memory. (simple description, see help file for better)

Those options seem to be correctly listed as to functions available.
What is not stated is that they can be masked (OR/AND...) together so that multiple options are applied simultaneously during a single screen refresh instruction execution!

My wish is that this be added to the help file for users to know without finding it by snooping thru a projects files generated by V-TFT.

Thanks all, Robert.
HW: easyPIC5|PICFlash2|easyBT|smartGSM|easyGSM|PICPLC16|mmWorkStation|FT800 Eve|PIC Clicker/2|
MMBs:PIC18F,PIC33EP,PIC32|CLICKs:DAC,ADC,GPS L10,Thermo,8x8B LED,Stepper,W/B OLED,9DOF,GPS3,tRF,Hall I|

SW: mP for PIC|mB for PIC-dsPIC-PIC32|Visual-TFT|

Megahurts

#32 Post by Megahurts » 20 Jul 2013 01:35

Hi M.E. Team,

Any way to change V-TFT so that custom colors created in a project are preserved so they are still there in the color selector
when V-TFT is restarted and a project is loaded?

As is, closing a project means losing those settings. The only way to get the colors values again is if the custom color was used
on a object and you have to set it again as a custom color, but only for the life of the editing session.

I have never seen the [Define Custom Colors>>] Button in color selection window not ghosted out either??
Not a implemented function??

If this could be resolved, so that the custom colors are saved with each project, it would be very helpful, Robert.
Last edited by Megahurts on 21 Jul 2013 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
HW: easyPIC5|PICFlash2|easyBT|smartGSM|easyGSM|PICPLC16|mmWorkStation|FT800 Eve|PIC Clicker/2|
MMBs:PIC18F,PIC33EP,PIC32|CLICKs:DAC,ADC,GPS L10,Thermo,8x8B LED,Stepper,W/B OLED,9DOF,GPS3,tRF,Hall I|

Megahurts

EveGradient needs one more direction option

#33 Post by Megahurts » 21 Jul 2013 00:43

Hi Staff,

If you have not noticed it yet, I think there was an omission in the EveGradient's color direction properties.
I don't know if this was due to limitation with Eve or just overlooked in V-TFT programming also.

The current choices are:
Top to Bottom
Bottom to Top
Left to Right
Right to Left
Top Left Diagonal
Bottom Right Diagonal

All fine and well except there is no way to have Gradient go Bottom Left to Top Right and mirrored like the existing choices.

Can you guys fix this or are we stuck with current selections? Robert.

dejan.odabasic
mikroElektronika team

#34 Post by dejan.odabasic » 22 Jul 2013 14:56

Hello,

Custom colors can be manually saved in commented lines.
Just assign the custom color to some object and then copy the generated value to user code and comment that line.

You can see in FT800 library help file the list of available gradient option.
Those are the options currently supported by FT800(EVE).
_FT800_BRUSH_GT_TOP_TO_BOTTOM Top to bottom gradient.
_FT800_BRUSH_GT_BOTTOM_TO_TOP Bottom to top gradient.
_FT800_BRUSH_GT_LEFT_TO_RIGHT Left to right gradient.
_FT800_BRUSH_GT_RIGHT_TO_LEFT Right to left gradient.
_FT800_BRUSH_GT_TOP_LEFT_DIAGONAL Top left diagonal gradient.
_FT800_BRUSH_GT_BOTTOM_RIGHT_DIAGONAL Bottom right diagonal gradient.
Best regards.

Megahurts

#35 Post by Megahurts » 22 Jul 2013 20:32

Hi dejan,

Thanks for the reply on this stuff.

I do find it odd and sad that there is no provision for a low left to high right (and mirrored) gradient direction.
I would say the manufacture of the chip (FT800) sure screwed up on this then. sad. :cry:

It certainly limits design options for balancing color schemes so as to not be repetitive in orientations used.
I had to cancel ideas for layouts due to this limitation, and very sad there is such a limitation imposed on such a simple thing.
You can see in FT800 library help file the list of available gradient option.
Those are the options currently supported by FT800(EVE).
I hope that means you can add this in the future?

Robert.

Megahurts

Adding ability to see press colors on objects

#36 Post by Megahurts » 27 Jul 2013 20:17

Hi Staff,

I waited awhile to ask this one but decided to put it out there for future implementation as soon as possible.

For V-TFT objects that can be 'Active', how about some way to see how the color selections for its base color and pressed color
look?

We need a way to simulate in V-TFT the pressing of a object to see if color choices are compatible for those of us who are not graphics designers by trade.

Current method is to program a device (using up a programing cycle count), and see if choice was good enough to be called art or if a new occupation might be better path. :lol:

For your (everyone's), consideration, Robert.

dejan.odabasic
mikroElektronika team

#37 Post by dejan.odabasic » 29 Jul 2013 08:16

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion, our developers will consider it.

Best regards.

Megahurts

#38 Post by Megahurts » 03 Aug 2013 06:08

Hi Guys,

Two things to propose:

1st.
If it has not been considered, for the wish of simulating color when pressed preview, how about assigning a keyboard key to hold
and then clicking on any object that has 'Active' property set True shows the press color assigned as long as mouse button is held down?

It would also be very important that while the modifier key is held down, no object can be moved at all by mouse pointer movement.

2nd.
With the FT800 device having a 256 or 255 limit on project total objects, it would be nice (for every display device setting), if there was a
project objects total also shown on bottom status bar with the screen objects total.

(btw, finally doing a little test drive of V3.7 and so far so good with what I have tried and seen.) B^)

Thanks and regards, Robert.

Megahurts

#39 Post by Megahurts » 28 Sep 2013 21:56

Hi Guys,

Got 2 more for wishes, if not considering already.

1st - For all TFT's and MCU's supported by V-TFT, we really need the ability built in to V-TFT for having objects reusable on multiple screens.
On thinking about it, it is hard to understand why it was not a feature with V-TFT from the start as all of the programmable devices have a fixed amount of memory to use.
I know there have been some posts on how to work-around this, but we should not have to as it can cause unpredictable results and any
work-around is subject to not working after a software update change.
Serious consideration to implement this should be taken please.

2nd - For EVE FT800 development mode, there needs to be an available listing of which "Tag" values (1 - 254), have been assigned to any objects
so far in a project.
Currently finding out if a Tag value has already been used is far too time consuming and impractical to keep doing and only gets harder to do as more assignments are done.

And I am wondering if it would be possible to have V-TFT changed so that the limit of Tags be applied to each screen, not the whole project?
Basically, make Tags used on a screens objects only pertain to that screen (unless reusing of objects gets implemented), and the Tags can be assigned
again to different objects on a different screen?

(EDIT: I have discovered that this is already the case, that objects Tag numbers are assigned by each screen, so ignore the above text in red)

I have not fully digested the datasheets from FTDI enough yet to know if the Tag limitation is inherently a HW factor or only imposed by how V-TFT is programmed?
(A spec stated in the datasheets of 2K objects supported has me wondering about this, so can you clarify please?)

Thanks for your consideration and feedback, Robert.
Last edited by Megahurts on 10 Oct 2013 06:13, edited 1 time in total.

Megahurts

#40 Post by Megahurts » 09 Oct 2013 07:17

Hi M.E. Staff & Members,

I have a couple of more feature proposals to consider for V-TFT.

Add to all components properties displayed, the property of its Display Priority or Order, so users will have absolute control over the display ordering
of the objects on a screen.

I think this would be a very handy, fast editing feature we can use. It would solve the hassles the limited "Bring to Front" and "Send to Back"
imposes on users. How do you all think on this?

This one is a consideration for how to implement the previous request for a used Tag numbers list.
If not a list, how about in the Tag property display, it also show the lowest open (unused), tag number available?
Much simpler solution for this feature.
(Edit: I should say it would track used Tag numbers for each screens objects right?
And if using objects on multiple screens ability is to be added, not sure on best default [for multi-screen] Tag number conflict handling procedures that result
in favorable conditions for continued project editing.)

Thanks for the support guys, Robert.

milos.vicentijevic

#41 Post by milos.vicentijevic » 10 Oct 2013 08:11

Hello Robert,

Thank you for suggestions!

I have passed all of them to software development department so they can consider them.

Best Regards,
Milos Vicentijevic

Megahurts

Addition of Statistics tool to V-TFT

#42 Post by Megahurts » 03 Jun 2014 00:30

Hi mE,

Been awhile since last proposal, thanks to you guys improving V-TFT and I have been busy on other stuff.

But nothing lasts forever right?.... So:

It would be nice and useful if there was something like the compilers "Statistics" tool for V-TFT projects that we can access while still in V-TFT.

It would need to be a little different than the compiler version though and no reason to duplicate it in V-TFT.

Things it should/could (wishlist) provide analysis of:

Total project Object (component) count, with size in Bytes required to store. (both static and dynamic objects in this total but listed separately)

Total number of Screens with each ones memory requirements (due to number/type objects on each one)

Totals of Static and Dynamic Objects used in project.

Break down of component types used by each screen.

Number of objects using same event handler routines.

Number of objects (by screen) with assigned event actions and UN-assigned objects.
(and please have a way to PRINT {to text file would be great} a list of all projects objects with {selectable :D } columns of related details from wishlist requests.) :?:

Each screens layers listed with objects on each layer.

each screens # of grouped objects with listing of which objects are in each group.

(other forum users please post of anything else that would be useful to see displayed)

And/Or

A feature to have a selected Component/Objects properties sent/printed to a text file so we can make our own compilation of objects and properties we need to refer to for our code writting sessions in the compilers.?
(really would like this one at least)

Thanks as always for the continued improvements and evolution of this product, Robert.

Megahurts

#43 Post by Megahurts » 29 Jun 2014 07:47

Hi Guys at mE,

Here is another request/suggestion for something that can help users and save us time when working in V-TFT/V-GLCD that I hope you consider for adding (and do add :D ):

Since it is very important that every object used in a project that a user wants to have react to TP activity be set in V-TFT
before doing the code work in a compiler, it would be very useful if there was an easy to see indicator(S) located on the status bar*
at the bottom of V-TFT that would indicate when an object is selected if there is an action event assigned for it or not and
selected object(s) Static state(s).
*(There is still some unused space free on it :wink: )

Even something simple of a graphic nature that we can glance at to rapidly check the objects on a project screen without the need to
switch the components view tab between properties and events (and then sometimes required to *open the events to see if one is assigned), would be a huge time saver for us.
*(for some reason/conditions, sometimes an objects events actions are collapsed when there is an action routine assigned, but others are expanded to show routine assigned when changing from objects properties view tab to event view tab??)

It is not any fun to find out after loading project in the compiler that you have to go load it back in to V-TFT and assign an event routine
because the object got overlooked or missed somehow in the process of assigning event routines.
Or that the wrong type of memory was being set for use on objects and either consumed too much of one than expected or the users code causes compile errors trying to perform illegal operations on object(s) properties due to wrong settings (Static=True when False needed).

The Static property on most components is usually off screen in the component properties viewer and requires scrolling (and changing Windows mouse focus if not already there) to see its current setting.

Current design in any layout I like using in V-TFT (& possibly any layout configuration?) requires many operations to check/set/clear some important object settings and properties because on different tabs/screens/windows/sub menus that causes longer/harder set ups and easy to miss doing required or wanted projects design configurations.

Visual indicators that are easy to see without requiring users to do addition mouse operations to check state and more operations again
to get V-TFT back to the state it was in previously to continue with editing will help users be more successful and quicker making applications.
I'm sure there are many hours that have been totaled up by the users doing mouse or software operations to return the software's state to a condition needed to continue work in that can be reduced if doing any unnecessary actions can be reduced also.

The larger the project and more objects used in it, the more time and mistakes this could prevent from happening.

As to how to accomplish these indicators when multiple objects are selected I think will be tricky to implement or maybe
impractical to do, but having them for a single object selection would be very helpful to us.

+ Until the issues have been resolved, the less often a project has to be reloaded into V-TFT the better things go with building one.
Too easy to forget getting correctly prepared to preserve any Users code that V-TFT will overwrite when project gets rebuilt.

***Would like to also re-suggest that all V-TFT generated common HW configuration code routines be removed from the driver file and placed in its own project module file please, please, please.
(A file that has to have its entire code changed/rewritten with ANY and EVERY EDIT DONE in V-TFT but also contains CRITICAL code that should never be changed, unless the User requires it edited, was/is a bad concept/practice by any standard sorry to say :oops: and a very serious issue every V-TFT customer is waiting on to be resolved in some manner still)

The current project output file organization if left as is, can not accommodate many design implementations that a V-TFT
User can easily and safely find a way to implement the required code due to the file restrictions and limits and no way to have
V-TFT incorporated with options to accommodate the vast possible HW and device(s) configurations you have made possible with HW available.
(it will only get worse if not resolved and even more HW is added to the possible mix)

For your considerations and review, and hope you find helpful as always, Robert.

Megahurts

Request:add a comment property to the components.

#44 Post by Megahurts » 01 Jul 2014 07:15

Hi, again an idea comes to me and would like for your developers to consider:

I think it would be helpful if the components had another property added that would allow users to type in some description text
as to the purpose the object is to have in the project application.

This text will then be put in to the output code in three (2) places as comment code:
1. A copy put above the objects structure declarations (static) or its initialization code cluster (dynamic) in the driver file
(because we can not edit that file from in V-TFT and by the time a person gets it into a compiler, they might forget what it was
for, and have to load it back to V-TFT to look and see to remember, more so if object name is not changed to reflect its purpose.)

2. And a copy placed above any event handler routines created only for that object, this prevents a comment for an object
replacing one already in existence for a routine that has multiple objects using it, instead of their own unique routines.

When working on large object count projects, it is very easy to forget why a component was used or the manipulation of its properties
for realizing an idea thought of during design work in V-TFT.

Not being able to comment something in a programs code when it would be the most useful/helpful to keep an idea on track is very irritating,
if you have seen any program code I wrote, you would see I use comments as the tool it is there for in a very disciplined practice
and methodology to make sure anyone reading the code can understand what is being done by the code.

I don't know what kind of work environment your code developers work in, but for me - I get interrupted a lot when I am working on program code
and sometimes find it hard to continue from where I was at because I have to back track a little to remember why something
is in the project, but was not finished being configured and looks meaningless with no context for reference or a comment (reminder note).

I use comments to make sure the ideas for the usage of code routines and objects can easily be seen so work can continue without much
effort, even if long delays between work sessions happen.

I don't ask this just for myself, but for all users too, and maybe it will get some of them to actually use comments more and better
than what I have seen so far.

Hope this is taken under serious consideration, I know it would help me when working on V-TFT projects, and I think others would find it useful too,
they can always choose to not use it if you do add it to V-TFT, but those that did will be happy they did.

It would be another step to make V-TFT a more professional and productive tool, as all would like it to become, Robert.

Return to “Visual TFT Wish List”