0sc settings 18F4553

Beta Testing discussion on Visual GLCD Software.
Author

0sc settings 18F4553

#1 Post by Mince-n-Tatties » 11 Aug 2011 19:45

Hi mE team,

i have to confess that i have not read through all previous posts etc prior to posting the following... feel free to bash me if this is already covered :)

using VGLCD 1.80.0.0, i generated the very basic EasyPIC6_Screens.vglcd example using 18F4553 with 20Mhz xtal

When i then loaded up the project with mikroC and performed a blind build (i.e. made no checks etc) + program, of course the project failed to run on the hardware. The answer as to why it failed is easy enough for me to find (OSC settings where not adjusted) and fix, however i fear that a newbie may find it a struggle to get going while expecting that having set the xtal speed in VGLCD they would be good to go.

mikroC had the correct 20Mhz xtal setting, but all other values had to be set... divider, source etc

bad settings :cry:
osc_settings.jpg
osc_settings.jpg (89.71 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
good settings :D
good_osc_settings.jpg
good_osc_settings.jpg (79.36 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
BTW i selected not to use TP.
Best Regards

Mince

janko.kaljevic

Re: 0sc settings 18F4553

#2 Post by janko.kaljevic » 13 Sep 2011 16:20

Hello Mince,

I apologize for the late reply.

Thanks for your contribution and effort.
You are right about this. But this actually happens, because we have provided proper settings only for default chips on each development system (chips from examples). So user should obtain set up for the chips that they choose from drop down menu.

I agree with you that newbie may be confused with this, and we will find proper solution for this, so user will be informed what steps are necessary for proper set up.

Best regards.

Return to “Visual GLCD Beta Testing”