mikromedia 5 for Tiva released!

Here you can find latest news on mikroElektronika products.
Author
anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#1 Post by anikolic » 11 Dec 2013 17:41

The most complete Tiva™ C Series development board to date is here. Meet mikromedia 5 for Tiva.

We've never done something like this before. Driving a 800x480px TFT touch screen just by a
microcontroller seemed like an impossible task. But we needed to at least try. One thing lead
to another, and we ended up creating the most complete multimedia development board up to
date. We called it mikromedia 5 for Tiva™ - the number five is there to depict screen size in inches.
We have a lot to thank to the mighty Tiva™ C Series ARM Cortex-M4 microcontroller called TM4C129xNCZAD.
It has 120 MHz operation, 1 MB of Flash, 256 KB of SRAM, µDMA controller, on-chip LCD controller
and a lot more. Integrated LCD controller cuts down costs, saves space and leaves more room on
the board for other modules.

The number of modules integrated on a single PCB is remarkable. One of the key things is the insanely
popular CC3000 WiFi module embedded on the board. It will instantly get your creative juices flowing.
Nordic nRF24L01P 2.4GHz transceiver brings RF connectivity to the board for low-power wireless
communication. Ethernet connector with LAN filter is here as well. 8MB SDRAM is not just a convenience,
it’s a necessity. Use it to store images and resources for the large TFT touchscreen, and you’ll
experience five times performance boost. VS1053 Stereo Audio Codec with quadrupole audio jack allows
MP3 audio reproduction. microSD card slot is available for storing external resources. ADXL345 Serial
Accelerometer helps detecting the screen orientation. Li-Polymer Battery Charger and a battery connector
allow the board to have an autonomous battery power supply. Discretely integrated On/Off switch is
a very handy addition. Piezo buzzer provides sound signalization feature, while RTC battery is there to
help retain date/time settings. And probably one of the most handy things we did is putting the
mikroProg for Tiva™ ICDI debugger on board. How cool is that?

Front side is dominated by a large 5" touchscreen in 800x480px resolution. Close to the screen board
features RGB LED, Infrared Receiver Diode, Light Sensor, Reset Button and a Temperature Sensor.
All four display corners feature screw holes for easier integration. Two longer sides of the board contain
1x26 connection pads for interfacing with external electronics or with a piggyback board called the
mikromedia 5 Shield, which is to be released shortly after.

mikromedia 5 for Tiva™ looks impressive. It's 6-layer PCB rich with silkscreen markings guarantee excellent
signal integrity at high speeds. Board is supported in mikroElektronika ARM compilers and Visual TFT software
for rapid creation of TFT GUIs. Retail price is $249.00.

Board package is truly remarkable. It's custom made, especially for this product, and filled with free
accessories. You get 2GB microSD card, four metal distancers, plastic pen for touch panel, Ethernet roll
cable, USB roll cable and a two 1x26 headers. User manual and board schematic are there as well.
Board comes preloaded with a cool example for a nice out-of-the-box experience.

We prepared a set of kits at great prices as well. Make sure to visit the board's webpage
for more information.

Yours sincerely,
mikroElektronika
Web Department Manager

francisr6

Re: mikromedia 5 for TIVA released!

#2 Post by francisr6 » 11 Dec 2013 18:23

Congratulations, this one is exactly the one we were hoping for since years, this is great.
I put a first order right now.

Francis.

RomanT

#3 Post by RomanT » 11 Dec 2013 18:49

The only pity is that the mikroelektronika forgets their projects immediately after the release ...
especially if not done on the PIC :evil:
HW: µM Plus for STM32, µM for ATMEGA, µM for XMEGA, MINI-AT, µProgSTM32, ConnectEVE.
SW: mikroC AVR, ARM, VisualTFT.
Clicks: WiFi+, GSM, GSM2, Bluetooth, ADC, DAC, RTC, IrThermo,
FM, OSD, GPS-L10, GYRO, Altitude, Compass, nRF C, USB adapter, SpeakUp.

francisr6

#4 Post by francisr6 » 11 Dec 2013 21:00

I think that i guess what you mean, i hope that this time, Mikroelektronika will provide code samples for all the functions of the board even for those that look really simple for them as the IR receiver for instance as working samples for all existing clicks, anyway i do appreciate the presence of the mikroProg for TIVA ICDI debugger on board, as the Wifi module on the board, this opens a wide area of nice possible developments if we succeed to make it work.

I am really happy, as the lack of 5" compact and efficient solutions in the range was an issue for us and today this is solved.

janko.kaljevic

#5 Post by janko.kaljevic » 12 Dec 2013 10:44

Hello,

Yes we will provide simple code examples for all board modules as soon as possible, in order to help users to develop their projects faster. Also example code which implements the most of them will be released today.

Very soon we will also offer a shield for the mikromedia 5 with mikroBUS sockets for easier development with click boards. And code examples for them will follow.

Best regards.

RomanT

#6 Post by RomanT » 12 Dec 2013 11:34

janko.kaljevic wrote:Yes we will provide simple code examples for all board modules as soon as possible, in order to help users to develop their projects faster.
can not be - I do not believe :lol:
It happens in this millennium?

And then I have without business already a year lying around Clicks
HW: µM Plus for STM32, µM for ATMEGA, µM for XMEGA, MINI-AT, µProgSTM32, ConnectEVE.

Vladimir_C

#7 Post by Vladimir_C » 12 Dec 2013 12:36

A great thing!
But, without a plastic frame, it is difficult to establish accurately on the front panel.
This one just stops me from buying ...(((
My last purchase here http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop ... goryID=196
only because of the plastic frame

RomanT

#8 Post by RomanT » 12 Dec 2013 14:29

This confused by
sale soon ? or - will soon be ?
or I incorrectly translated this expression?
Attachments
tiva.jpg
tiva.jpg (73.58 KiB) Viewed 35799 times

francisr6

#9 Post by francisr6 » 12 Dec 2013 15:18

Hi I ordered a first one, so the board is available, the first set of sample should become available for download soon i guess that it will be the same set we got for the Mikromedia plus for STM32, it is nice even if not complete this is why i mentioned the lack for the embedded IR receiver. Here we solved this lack, simply it took more time to make it work than if we could have a working sample for each feature on the board ready to be adapted. I am confident that Mikromedia team does his best to provide this kind of support this is why we have an interest for the products.

Toley

#10 Post by Toley » 12 Dec 2013 16:10

Just curious to see if there will be a CC3000 library...
Serge T.
Learning is an endeless process but it must start somewhere!

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#11 Post by anikolic » 12 Dec 2013 16:27

Relax guys, we just need a little time to wrap things up. On the other hand, I do understand your concern.
Everything is completed and working, but there's a procedure which needs to be followed.
Final tests and publishing of libraries and examples are going to be ready in a few days.

We apologize for this little delay. I promise that you'll have everything much before the DHL guys ring your doorbell, carrying the board to your doorstep.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

RomanT

Re: mikromedia 5 for Tiva released!

#12 Post by RomanT » 14 Dec 2013 10:06

And do you have plans make the examples for all the Clicks, for all platforms, in particular my interested in AVR and STM32 ?

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#13 Post by anikolic » 14 Dec 2013 12:55

Yes, RomanT, we certainly do.
Hopefully, moving to a new office space, which is planned until the end of December 2013. will brings us a whole lot of new opportunities.
We're strengthening our Support Team, bringing new people. Certainly, there will be at least two of my colleagues only writing examples 40 hours per week.
That's going to change the situation A LOT.

As much as we have only the purest of wishes, great intentions and visionary ideas, somehow time keeps beating us.
And that's exactly what we need to work on, starting January 2014. I just hope you guys can hold on, just a bit more.
We need your support, and beg for a bit more patience.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

RomanT

#14 Post by RomanT » 14 Dec 2013 13:00

If you confirm that 100% will be the examples for all platforms and all the boards, then I am willing to spend another $500

MaGiK

#15 Post by MaGiK » 14 Dec 2013 13:28

anikolic wrote:We're strengthening our Support Team, bringing new people.
Does this mean that MikroElektronika is hiring?

If that's the case, then I'm more than interested into taking an opportunity to join your team.
Give me your worst tests, longest hiring steps and hardest interviews, I'm willing to take them all just to have the honour of joining you guys :D

Best Regards
My hobby is collecting MikroElektronika products.
Gotta catch them all!

Return to “Product Announcements”