Ability to add new components?

Post your requests and ideas for the mikroElektronika website & forums.
Author

Ability to add new components?

#1 Post by ben.m » 23 Sep 2012 01:19

Maybe not the right place, but...
It seems to me that every time I find 'just the right component' for a project, the PIC microcontroller isn't supported by mikroBasic for PIC/dsPIC/etc. or the programmer does not allow programming that chip and therefore the ICD option isn't available. Example in point: I am currently working on a motion controller that uses the dsPIC33FJ16GS502. The compiler supports this chip (hooray!), but I cannot program it since it isn't (yet - according to support) supported. So great, I had to bust out my PICkit3, create a HEX file and then program it that way. This works, but why did I spend the money to get the programmer that has "All PICs covered"?
Second example, I was looking for an ultra low cost PIC that could be put in things like give-away gifts to do some simple bliking/etc. I found the perfect part, the PIC10F320. But again, not supported, neither by the compiler nor the programmer... bit of a bummer since this means that I now need to not only look for what the perfect part is, but also what is supported by the programmer and the compiler. So here is my suggestion: rather than having the developers spend hours every day making sure that the latest chips are supported, why not design the application in such a way that when a new device comes out, all they have to do is update a config file or something similar that holds the parameters applicable to the chip, or better yet, the impatient people (like myself), can learn how the config files work and simply write their own when a device is not supported...

B

filip
mikroElektronika team

Re: Ability to add new components?

#2 Post by filip » 28 Sep 2012 10:54

Hi,

I understand your issue entirely.
We tend to minimize these discrepancies between the compiler and programmer as much as possible, but occasionally differences are found.

We are considering to implement some kind of easier updating process that will allow user quicker supporting of the new MCUs.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Filip.

Return to “Website & Forums Wishlist”