MikroC and Linux

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroC.
Author

#16 Post by robertr » 27 Dec 2007 15:42

Hello, can someone tell us araund when we can expect, the compilers for Linux.

LGR

#17 Post by LGR » 27 Dec 2007 15:46

You're new, aren't you? That's the one question you don't ask here.
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

Commander_Bob

#18 Post by Commander_Bob » 25 Jan 2008 05:43

I too would love MikroC for Linux. I switched from XP to Ubuntu and I love it. Only problem is I can't use my $250 compiler or $140 LV24-33 board. :cry: Is it possible to get the LV24-33 board working with Linux? There are other free compilers so I could use one while I wait, but it does no good if I can't use the programmer.
Thanks,
Justin

sonic

#19 Post by sonic » 24 Feb 2008 18:34

Yeah. Ubuntu is ok. Windows-like, easy to use and FREE for all. mikroC-ubuntu

anton

#20 Post by anton » 05 Mar 2008 16:56

Hi Commander_Bob,

Have a look at Virtual Box http://www.virtualbox.org/

It allows you to install Windows inside of Linux and then you can run mikroC, mikroPascal or anything from there. It supports USB and all the stuff so everything is working 100%

I'm running my machine like thins for almost a year now and never had any problems.

Please let me know if you get stuck somewhere with the installation. I will try to make a installation user guide with screen shots as soon as I get time.

Anton
Another proud user of LV 24-33A Development System and mikroPascal PRO for dsPIC :)
PortA not working? Add CMCON := 7; PortD not working? Add ADCON1 := 6;
To paste code on the forum, please use the [b] Code [/b] button !! ;)

Commander_Bob

#21 Post by Commander_Bob » 18 Mar 2008 05:18

I installed virtual box and got MikroC running but then I open an existing project the code does not show up. If will flash there but then go away and say there is only one line of code. If I compile it it compiles fine but it does not show up. I have been using the assembler from Microchip witch works fine on virtualbox (I have windows XP sp2) but assembly takes forever to code anything complicated. If you know a fix for this that would be great. It does not seem to happen if I make a new project only opening one.
Thanks,
Justin

Commander_Bob

#22 Post by Commander_Bob » 18 Mar 2008 06:00

Here is a video of my problem. Usually it will flash the contents of the file before only showing one line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwN_MoTtcNA
Justin

midaps

#23 Post by midaps » 13 Apr 2008 01:31

zristic wrote:
antoniospadim wrote:Zristic, do you have some news about this project?
We are working on it.
And so.... any news about this?

midaps

#24 Post by midaps » 13 Apr 2008 01:40

Commander_Bob wrote:I installed virtual box and got MikroC running but then I open an existing project the code does not show up. If will flash there but then go away and say there is only one line of code. If I compile it it compiles fine but it does not show up. I have been using the assembler from Microchip witch works fine on virtualbox (I have windows XP sp2) but assembly takes forever to code anything complicated. If you know a fix for this that would be great. It does not seem to happen if I make a new project only opening one.
Thanks,
Justin
I tryed to use mikroC+Ubuntu Gutsy+Virtual Box and it work... but... not very well like into Windows Xp.

I'd some problems with the mC IDE. But, after config, you can access everything: USB, Serial,etc... and I used my EasyPic3 without problems.

I just gave up because sometimes the virtualbox just STOP, and the Ubuntu's dark screen appear in the VirtualBox window. I lost 2 times my last modification in a code.

So now... I have WinXP only for mC, and Ubuntu for everything else (Matlab, Eagle, Cads, USB-Scopes, etc...).

arhimed

#25 Post by arhimed » 14 May 2008 12:34

just to add a ++ to one waiting on mikroC for linux

fred101

#26 Post by fred101 » 09 Dec 2008 08:29

just got an easypic3 to learn programming pic's. I want the easypic5 but I only work with linux (kubuntu) and someone told me that could be a problem so I now can test with the 3. But nomatter what I try, I cannot get it working. Wine runs the software but does not see the board.
VMware is no option because I do not have a XP disk. The vista resque disk with my laptop seems to be corrupt so I can not put vista back on a partition.
Can I throw the board away or is there a solution ?

Fred

LGR

#27 Post by LGR » 09 Dec 2008 17:53

In addition to a long list of other projects, Zoran's group is working on separating the compiler from the IDE, so that the compiler can be ported easily to linux in a command line environment. I suspect that some of the open-source development tools such as kdevelop could then be joined with it.

HOWEVER

PICFLASH is produced by the hardware group, and they'll port it over on their own schedule. The development boards use a PIC18F2455 (??) USB chip, and AFAIK, Microchip doesn't furnish linux driver code for it, so to make a PICFLASH that works with linux, they're going to have to cobble an open source driver. There do appear to be such things, but making it work with all distros will be a lot of work, because it'll have to be custom-tailored to the distro. IMO, mE should chose to support the three most popular distros, Ubuntu, SuSE/Novell, and Fedora.

If we have any linux hard-cores here with some extra time on their hands, this might be a good user project to take on. I'm sure they'll be happy to cooperate.

---

Come to think of it, what would be cleaner is for someone to write a daemon that communicates with the development board, and makes it appear to the system as a series of TCP/IP ports or pipes. That would be pretty universal, and wouldn't need to be tailored to the distro. Then, the PICFLASH software would just communicate with the daemon.
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

unimatrix

#28 Post by unimatrix » 02 Feb 2009 18:51

It's never going to happen people. They are obviously lying to us. **** mikroE, I regret ever buying your crap.

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#29 Post by zristic » 02 Feb 2009 19:02

unimatrix wrote:It's never going to happen people. They are obviously lying to us. **** mikroE, I regret ever buying your crap.
You are free to express your opinion.

You are not free to use such language. One warning for you - a yellow card.

This forum is not a social prism, this is a technical support and discussion group.

Please participate in a constructive discussion.

Thank you for understanding.

Donald Shimoda

#30 Post by Donald Shimoda » 03 Feb 2009 06:09

zristic wrote:
Please participate in a constructive discussion.

Thank you for understanding.
You are rigth.

Can please talk about progress? I use windows almost only for mikroe. Im in process of migrate all our servers applications from delphi to lazarus linux, and is not so hard you think.

I dont know exactly wich compo you use for IDE and USB but theres excellent alternatives in the free world.

best regards.
Donald Shimoda.

Return to “mikroC Wish List”