MP Version 7.1.0 bug: Still unusable with 125% font scaling

General discussion on mikroPascal PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24.
Author

MP Version 7.1.0 bug: Still unusable with 125% font scaling

#1 Post by OT » 22 May 2018 23:53

From ver. 7.0 on the IDE has been broken and unusable on my Windows 7 system for nearly two years, viewtopic.php?f=106&t=68792 , viewtopic.php?f=192&t=70384#p286774 and after the long hopeful wait, it is really sad to see that the project settings dialog is still broken on the just released MP version 7.1. There is no way to reliably set the project setting as the settings are not visible and/or cannot be accessed. There has been a number of complaints from other users for the different compiler flavors. It is beyond me why this cannot be fixed. I follow a number of open source software projects, and problems related to font scaling has in all cases been fixed by developers, often within days of bug reporting. Why cannot ME accomplish these fixes that everybody else can do and which was for the most part not present in version 6.2.1? (What changed from ver. 6.2.1 to 7.0/7.1? Not my computer.) I have no other applications on my computer that misbehaves like this.

A simple fix would be to allow the user to resize the different panels and total size of the offending dialogs (and remember their settings). After all we are talking about a single dialog or two. There is an offending amount of blank space on the left part of the project settings dialog and then not enough space on the right side. it should be possible to make the default sizes of these panels different so that they can accommodate different displays. Please release a bug fix. If nothing else supply a patch for those of us who have these problems like you did with mikroprog (see below).

It is also worth noting that ME previously supplied me with a beta version of mikroprog that fixed the problem there, but the version supplied with 7.1 version is again broken. As I recall, I have also previously suggested a possible fix where developers make sure to use 96 dpi font scaling on their displays when designing/compiling the dialogs - this is supposed to allow high dpi font scaling to work correctly when scaled differently. Have this been tried? I believe I found this advice in the Delphi forums.

High resolution displays are really rather the rule today than the exception, and the FHD display on my laptop computer is nothing special. Again, please provide a fix so that I do not have to revert to ver. 6.2.1 and be stuck with that forever.
MP-ver-7_1-font-scaling-problem.jpg
MP-ver-7_1-font-scaling-problem.jpg (357.93 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
mikropascal dsPIC, Visual TFT, MMBdsPIC v.105, 1.10_9A, mikroProg, "Big"(P30F6012A)EasydsPIC2

filip
mikroElektronika team

Re: MP Version 7.1.0 bug: Still unusable with 125% font scal

#2 Post by filip » 25 May 2018 13:20

Hi,

I really apologize for this issue, I will do everything in my power to solve it.

Regards,
Filip.

OT

#3 Post by OT » 27 May 2018 09:47

Unfortunately the problems are much worse than I described above. When I now started to try convert the first project with VTFT I got reminded that also the VTF project settings dialogs get messed up and one cannot view or access all the information. But that is just the start. I have not even been able to make VTFT generate code that will compile when converted from an old project. I get nonsense code - the syntax of the code in the driver is incorrect. There is really no chance then as the user is not supposed to mess with that code.

It is worth noting though that the old projects untouched by VTFT (without the VTFT licence code activated) compiles well in ver. 7.1.

Regarding the High DPI scaling problems, I found the correspondence with the links I previously sent to Darko at support in November last year,
I wrote:
Here is a link regarding high DPI scaling for Delphi applications:
http://zarko-gajic.iz.hr/delphi-high-dp ... correctly/
The following link is for Lazarus FreePascal, but it explains the situation pretty clearly, fonts are scaled, without other element scaled:"
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/High ... _and_above
Since there is no corruption of the project settings in ver 6.2.1, (but some of the tools are messed in that version) I wonder what changed that messed up the display of things in the project settings in ver. 7?
The message was the last in the conversation and was not commented back as far as I can see.

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, there seems to have been no effort put into this solving this, at least there are no apparent changes from ver. 7.01.
mikropascal dsPIC, Visual TFT, MMBdsPIC v.105, 1.10_9A, mikroProg, "Big"(P30F6012A)EasydsPIC2

OT

#4 Post by OT » 29 May 2018 02:08

With all the VTFT related problems added to this problem it seems the only sensible thing for me is for now to revert to the 6.2.1 IDE and VTFT ver. 4.6.1, as there would be no advantage of using the integrated version. I was however able to combine the 6.2.1 IDE with the 7.1 compiler and definition changes to a hybrid system by the following:
1. Use a MP dsPIC ver 6.2.1 installation as starting point.
2. Make copy of the 6.2.1 install folder (for instance rename to different name).
3. Install MP dsPIC ver 7.1, but do not register the integrated VTFT.
4. From the MP dsPIC ver 7.1 installation copy the following into the MP dsPIC ver 6.2.1 folder (after renaming the old files/folders by for instance adding "-old" to the name):
Files:
mPdsPIC.exe
LibDependency.ini

Folders:
Uses
Packages
Defs

3. I then renamed the ver. 7.1 install folder (for instance add -71 to the name)
4. I then renamed the 6.2.1 folder to the previous name of the 7.1 install ("mikroPascal PRO for dsPIC").

On start it could become necessary to activate the license again depending on what was the starting point, in my case it was already registered.
The IDE will now list 6.2.1 in the heading, but will use 7.1 compiler and libraries. So far it seems to work well.

The alternative to this strategy would be to always run MP 7.1 at 100% font scaling in a VM, but I have found that the programmer tends to become unreliable when used from the VM, besides the disadvantage of having to boot up the VM each time I am going to work with this.

OT

#5 Post by OT » 02 Jun 2018 06:05

For some further testing in of 7.1.0 in a VM I wanted to see how crazy things would become if the font scaling is set to 150%. That is when I discovered that by default, Win7 then performs some graphic up-scaling from 100% scaling of everything so that text and lines look fuzzy (it just enlarges the whole screen image) and not very comfortable to look at, but the dialogs are accessible as they are just enlarged from the 100% view. VTFT editor to code font re-scaling also responds as if the system has 100% font scaling. The application window size was messed up though, I could never resize the window so that I could see the bottom it, it was almost like the bottom was fixed outside the bottom screen. With font scaling is set as high as 150% one need to tick on "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" under the Compatibility tab of the shortcut to see how bad things really scales. At 125% the display scaling never occurs, so the problems are visible without changing any setting but not quite as bad as at 150%.

1. With the Windows shortcut's display scaling turned off at 150% font scaling things got really crazy. There were actually very few dialogs that had any settings that were accessible in 7.1.0.

2. The second problem, the size of fonts in the VTFT editor and the generated code, did not have as crazy effect on the MMB display as expected. However what happens when the project experiences a change in Windows font scaling, is that all the VTFT font sizes are resized (for instance size 8 at 100% font scaling went down to size 6 at 150% font scaling, which cannot even be selected with the drop down menu), and then apparently re-scaled again when the code is generated. This caused inaccuracies in the scaling so that fonts may not fit the size of boxes chosen for them, but at 150% it was not much worse than at 125%, just different.

Scaling of the chosen font size, (for instance a size 8 ) should scale directly to a certain size in the code (for instance Tahoma 11x13_Regular) by a fixed factor, as if a 100% font scaling factor was used independently of actual Windows font scaling. Then the size displayed on the screen image can apply the 125% scaling factor to display font image on the edit screen correctly if appropriate. As it is now, it appears that fonts are scaled back and forth again causing inaccuracies. (I believe i posted about this about 4 years back). This kind of back and forth scaling would never survive in an electronic CAD package or mechanical CAD package, no one would want to buy such software that could potentially change the project when moved to another computer. Nor would it be accepted in a word processor.

If the editor/code font scaling method is changed in VTFT (which I hope it will), it could become issues with how projects that were created with other than 100% scaling in Windows would be translated. However the conversion routines could prompt for original font scaling of the project, or could figure it out by looking at font size in existing code compared to VTFT editor font size . Perhaps the scaling factors used are even stored in the project file? Also since VTFT has not been very functional with different than 100% font scaling there might not be many projects out there that would be affected.

On top of this as mentioned above the scaling of the space character need to be corrected, particularly at larger font sizes.

petar.suknjaja
mikroElektronika team

#6 Post by petar.suknjaja » 06 Jun 2018 09:33

Hi,

We reported this to the developers.
Thank you for your effort.

Kind regards,
Petar

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24 General”