Broken project settings dialog in v. 7.0

General discussion on mikroPascal PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24.
Author

Broken project settings dialog in v. 7.0

#1 Post by OT » 07 Nov 2016 12:13

The project settings dialog is messed up in v. 7.0 (see screenshot below, there is no way to change device name, too much space used up on the left side). This is with a 125% font size in Win 7.

Also as noted only the main program file opens when a project is opened. Other files not. This is not acceptable and I hope it will be fixed promptly (otherwise I will have to revert to the old version). Interestingly if I close the project, only the main program file is closed. Other files are apparently not recognized as belonging to the project.

I also fail to see how VTFT is now integrated (after registering both), in fact there is not even a shortcut in the program to open VTFT, even when I open a mpascal dspic project that was created in concert with VTFT.

Edit : I would like to add that I think it is very nice to see the new devices added; this was my motivation for upgrading as lot of the PIC24 versions with 12-bit ADC were previously not available and these seem to be good candidates for data logger projects.

So I really hope to see the bug fixes soon; it looks like the dsPIC compiles are the first guinea-pigs for the TFT integration so fixes to the IDE here should likely benefit all the following compilers.
Version-7.0-bug.jpg
Version-7.0-bug.jpg (173.67 KiB) Viewed 6373 times
Last edited by OT on 09 Nov 2016 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
mikropascal dsPIC, Visual TFT, MMBdsPIC v.105, 1.10_9A, mikroProg, "Big"(P30F6012A)EasydsPIC2

lana.arsic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Broken project settings dialog in v. 7.0

#2 Post by lana.arsic » 08 Nov 2016 17:38

Hi,

Unfortunately, problem with DPI is not fixed in this version,
I have reported to our developers again, meanwhile, please use 100%.

There is shortcut for opening project in Visual TFT, you can press F12.

As regards main program, it is the only one which is opened when you open a project,
if you want to open all files at once, you can place your wish here:

http://forum.mikroe.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=68444

but when you close the project is should close all files,
I wasn't able to reproduce another behavior, can you attach your project so I could try?

Best regards,
Lana

OT

#3 Post by OT » 09 Nov 2016 01:43

lana.arsic wrote:Hi,
Unfortunately, problem with DPI is not fixed in this version,
I have reported to our developers again, meanwhile, please use 100%.
I have probably 50 other programs on this computer and most of them become unreadable with 100% font size. So you are telling me that mikropascal should take priority in usability of these other 50 programs? We live in 2016 with high DPI displays pretty much being the standard. Thus disappointing that this has not been properly tested. I have also long time ago pointed out similar font size related problems in VTFT, and I believe also miropascal (that was fixed) which did not work properly unless 100% was chosen. So there is need for more testing with different display settings before a program is released.
There is shortcut for opening project in Visual TFT, you can press F12.
Thanks, I discovered that, and also a buried menu choice. But would it not be proper to also have a easily accessible button on the toolbar to make these switches? the F12 key does not have the most accessible position on the keyboard (compared to windows Alt-Tab which could be used for switching before).
As regards main program, it is the only one which is opened when you open a project,
if you want to open all files at once, you can place your wish here:
http://forum.mikroe.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=68444
How could I know that there is need to place wishes for existing behavior almost from the start up to ver. 6.2.1? Especially when working with VTFT there is need to have 5-6 files open at a time. Now one will have to take the work of opening these every time the project is opened. What is the point of project files and project group files if it is does not to contain a list of files that should be open. I think this is a bug.
BTW this was pointed out by Janni in another thread too, the original announcement
http://forum.mikroe.com/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=68716
and acknowledged as a bug:
filip wrote:
The only thing broken while upgrading the IDE seems to be restoration of files previously opened in a project. Editor option 'Restore All Opened Files' doesn't seem to have any effect. Apparently, information about such files is not read from project file (though it is saved), so after reopening a project one has to reopen all files belonging to it but the main one manually (and close the ones from any previously edited project as they tend to pass along). This may prove highly irritant - especially when one has to switch between projects frequently.
Thank you for reporting this, this managed to slip our eyes somehow.
Regards,
Filip.
but when you close the project is should close all files,
Exactly, and it does not, also pointing to a bug.
I wasn't able to reproduce another behavior, can you attach your project so I could try?
I do not understand what you mean by "another behavior", the two main points in my original post has already been covered, and in addition you pointed out the F12 key to me.
mikropascal dsPIC, Visual TFT, MMBdsPIC v.105, 1.10_9A, mikroProg, "Big"(P30F6012A)EasydsPIC2

ilferrari

#4 Post by ilferrari » 09 Nov 2016 14:32

This is an issue with all their software, their developers did not bother checking with other dpi settings. See for example mikroProg Suite is unusable at high DPI

lana.arsic
mikroElektronika team

#5 Post by lana.arsic » 10 Nov 2016 17:20

Hi,

I'm sorry for misunderstanding and for the inconvenience,
problem with Restore all opened files is already reported.

I have tried to open all .c and .h files, and they were all closed when the project is closed,
so I didn't reproduce behavior that you have described. Did you mean on another files, like .lst?
If you did that issue is also reported to our developers.

As regards DPI, you can also try Nadir's suggestion
from the thread that ilferrari has posted:

http://forum.mikroe.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 60#p273781

Best regards,
Lana

OT

#6 Post by OT » 11 Nov 2016 10:28

lana.arsic wrote:Hi,
I'm sorry for misunderstanding and for the inconvenience,
problem with Restore all opened files is already reported.

I have tried to open all .c and .h files, and they were all closed when the project is closed,
so I didn't reproduce behavior that you have described. Did you mean on another files, like .lst?
If you did that issue is also reported to our developers.
Ahem, this is the mpascal dspic forum, not the corresponding c compliler forum. Please test with the correct compiler.
As regards DPI, you can also try Nadir's suggestion
from the thread that ilferrari has posted:
http://forum.mikroe.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 60#p273781
Best regards,
Lana
nadir wrote: But I try with 125% DPI in combination with resolution of 2560x1440 (before it was 1920x1080)
I am afraid that is not possible. My highest resolution display is 1920x1080 and the font size is already at 125%. Changing the display resolution to something other than the native resolution is anyway not acceptable.

However your comment tells me that there is something wrong in your code the way the IDE scales windows and fonts . Scaling should be to DPI, not total screen size.

lana.arsic
mikroElektronika team

#7 Post by lana.arsic » 14 Nov 2016 10:02

Hi,

I'm sorry, I have missed the headline.

Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce the same behavior,
all opened .mpas files were closed when project is closed,
only output files stayed opened and that issue is already reported.

Best regards,
Lana

janni

#8 Post by janni » 14 Nov 2016 13:52

lana.arsic wrote:all opened .mpas files were closed when project is closed,
only output files stayed opened and that issue is already reported.
Only .mpas files belonging to a project are being closed - any other file opened (also .mpas one) may stay open when switching to another project - it seems that number of files left (besides output files) depends on number of source files registered in a project.

lana.arsic
mikroElektronika team

#9 Post by lana.arsic » 15 Nov 2016 17:52

Hi,

I have managed to reproduce the same behavior,
I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused by this.

I have forwarded this issue to our developers.

Best regards,
Lana

ilferrari

#10 Post by ilferrari » 16 Nov 2016 09:03

lana.arsic wrote:I have forwarded this issue to our developers.
Considering the last dsPIC compiler update took almost 3 years, don't expect a fix any time soon.

lana.arsic
mikroElektronika team

#11 Post by lana.arsic » 17 Nov 2016 09:35

Hi,

We are aware that dsPIC updates were neglected,
but it was big improvement, minor updates will be posted more frequently.

Best regards,
Lana

OT

#12 Post by OT » 30 Jul 2017 09:07

Last update (ver 7.01) did not address this problem at all. So a reminder is needed that ME need to fix this.

I am still on ver 6.2.1 because of this problem as version 7.01 cannot be used be used on my computer.

lana.arsic
mikroElektronika team

#13 Post by lana.arsic » 31 Jul 2017 17:20

Hi,

I apologize because of this inconvenience,
I have forwarded again this issue to our developers.

Kind regards,
Lana

OT

#14 Post by OT » 09 Oct 2017 06:21

I hope apologies can be followed by action. It is 11 months since this problem was initially reported and acknowledged and 2 months since the last message. Please provide us with an update on the progress to fix it.

I would like to add that I think this strategy for organizing coding, waiting for month and years to fix things that appear as a consequence of a new release is highly inefficient with respect to time use, as the programmers have to renew their knowledge of the changes they made to the code instead of acting right away while everything is fresh in memory. If time is set aside for these minor fixes after each release (which apparently is not the case now), I think ME's programmers in the end would save time and be able to do more work besides gaining on the loyalty of customers.

lana.arsic
mikroElektronika team

#15 Post by lana.arsic » 09 Oct 2017 17:09

Hi,

I apologize once again for this unpleasantness,
be sure that our developers are doing their best
to fix the most of issues in the next release.

Gaining on the loyalty of customers is very important to us,
that is why in each release except adding support for new MCUs, many bugs are fixed
and new features are added, you can check our RoadMap:

https://learn.mikroe.com/dspic-compilers-roadmap/

Unfortunately, issue with DPI is not solved yet, but I have sent you an e-mail,
I suggest to continue our correspondence there.

Kind regards,
Lana

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24 General”