I wish mikroC support specificity of inline function!

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroC PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24.
Author

Re: I wish mikroC support specificity of inline function!

#16 Post by RobinD » 12 Oct 2015 01:36

Hi Filip,

we know it is not your fault that this feature still has not been implemented.
So at this point I will ask you to talk to your manager and the person overseeing the compiler.
It is actually not correct to put this feature on the "wish list". This is a basic feature not something that would be nice to have.
Our argument when you talk to your managers will be:

The product is advertised as 'mikroC PRO for dsPIC is a full-featured ANSI C compiler'. This is simply not true. Since C99 (from the year 1999/2000) the 'inline' function is part of the ANSI C standard. MikroE either has to stop claiming it is ANSI C or has to add this feature.

Thank you for raising this feature issue with your managers.

Best regards,
Robin

filip
mikroElektronika team

#17 Post by filip » 13 Oct 2015 09:41

Hi,

I will have a conversation with our managers regarding this issue.

Regards,
Filip.

alfaman

#18 Post by alfaman » 07 Apr 2017 15:28

Over SEVEN years have passed since this question was asked and 'inline' is still not working.

The ONLY logical conclusion would be that MikroE has no intention of paying for extra coders to fix issues on this old product.
Listing product features the complier does not have could have been an oversight 7 years ago, but now it's just plain old fraud.
Customer goodwill has a limit.

filip
mikroElektronika team

#19 Post by filip » 10 Apr 2017 16:47

Hi,

I am sorry if you feel this way, we have surely not abandoned this suggestion, you may put this on our compiler enhancement list here :
viewtopic.php?f=218&t=68444

Regards,
Filip.

RobinD

#20 Post by RobinD » 11 Apr 2017 01:17

Hi Filip,

I posted exactly this to the topic you linked, but it was never put on the enhancement list!
I posted on the 21 Sep 2016 00:17, my post is on page 3.

This might be a coincidence but almost funny that the inline function keeps getting ignored.

filip
mikroElektronika team

#21 Post by filip » 11 Apr 2017 16:38

Hi,

We will put this on the enhancement list.

Regards,
Filip.

steve42lawson

#22 Post by steve42lawson » 16 Dec 2017 09:00

UPDATE (2017-12-16):
And I thought of another reason I want the inline functionality:

I like to use functions for organizing my code -- making it more readable and as a form of self documentation. Then, for functions that are, essentially, for that sole purpose, I make them inline (or that's what my practice has been in the past, with other development systems). And, I, of course, use inline for performance sensitive cases.

-------------------------------------------------- ORIGINAL CONTENT -------------------------------------------------------

So, here it is 2017 and as of ver 7.1.0, still no ability to inline a function! I see you guys coming out with all kinds of shiny new toys, but no attention paid to old issues like this. It seems to me that implementing "inline" wouldn'be be that hard. Simply take the code within the function definition and insert it, inline, with the code where the function is called. Any arguments can be handled the same way as in a regular function call. You can resolve scope the same way scope is resolved if one includes code within braces, like this:

Code: Select all

{
    int a;  // Should have scope only within the braces.
    a = 1;  // This works just fine. 
}

a = 2; // This causes  a compiler error, because it hasn't been declared in this scope (I tested this!).
So, you already, pretty much, have in place what you need to easily implement this, so, what's keeping you?!?
Humility is the lack of the desire to impress, not the lack of being impressive.

Return to “mikroC PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24 Wish List”