Project manager -> Others

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroC PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24.
Author

Project manager -> Others

#1 Post by Jer » 12 Dec 2009 01:24

Currently when a '.c' or '.h' file is added to the Others folder the project manager assumes that the file should be compiled and moves it to the Sources or Headers folder please allow source files (in fact any file) to be added to Others where it should not be treated as project source code. Forum member jpc has made a similar comment on the Pro Pascal compiler.

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#2 Post by anikolic » 14 Dec 2009 14:39

Hi,
The logic used in Project Manager is C-compliant and following:
1. All files with .C extension are assumed to contain code, so they are naturally considered as Source files. Source meaning they contain code, or implementation of some function prototypes.
2. Any .H file is considered to contain those function prototypes, or other code parts that are not directly implementation of the source. So, they are considered to be kind of definition used for linking modular sources and for other purposes.
3. Binaries, or compiled libraries (.MCL) are automatically placed in Binaries folder, and so on.
4. Other Files are files with unknown extension, or files that are not treated as any of the other possible file types.

So, considering this logic, it seamed to us that it is clear how the sorting works. Obviously, there are some other points of view that we haven't considered yet, so our developers received and will consider your suggestions.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

Jer

#3 Post by Jer » 14 Dec 2009 20:09

Thanks for reply - the reason why I would like to be able to put .c/.h files into others would be to view some example code and perhaps copy and paste chunks of source code from another file however I would not want the IDE to attempt to compile it as part of the project - I could just change the file extension but I'd prefer not to.

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by anikolic » 15 Dec 2009 11:03

Jer wrote:I would not want the IDE to attempt to compile it as part of the project
What is the point of including files, if you do not want IDE to use it as a reference, or source? You could just open file and it will be available to you via it's tab, and will be reloaded with the project, but until it is included, it will not affect the compilation. Once you include the file, you give the clear signal to compiler to use the file when building project.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

Jer

#5 Post by Jer » 15 Dec 2009 16:34

What is the point of including files, if you do not want IDE to use it as a reference, or source?
I gave my reasoning in my previous post but I'll give some more detail:

The whole point is that you can make an explicit link to a source file(s) of interest via the project window which remain available even if the file tab is closed.

The advantages are:

1) You can get back to the file quickly if it is closed (obviously).
2) A connection between the source file and the project is indicated that may be useful to others (or self) maintaining the code at a later stage.

Even if you think these advantages are minimal (which I don't) I can't see there would be any disadvantage (to the user at least) in allowing this type of IDE behaviour?

Best Regards

Jer

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#6 Post by anikolic » 16 Dec 2009 11:36

Hi,
As much as I am used to have a different approach when it comes to such thing, I have informed our developers of your suggestions, and they will consider your ideas.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

Return to “mikroC PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24 Wish List”